Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Out with the old.......

Post by jagnut66 »

..... and in with the equally as old!! :P

Anyway my rattling, oil leaking / consuming, mobile fog bank has been removed and replaced by another ex- midget engine, which I'm hoping will lead to clearer air around Mansfield....... :lol:

I won't be disposing of my old unit though, as prior to disgracing itself at every given opportunity over the last few months, it was a great little engine, so it will be rebuilt when time and funds allow. :D

This leaves me with three engines though, so I will be advertising my spare (not seized but I'd recommend an inspection / new gaskets and a repaint at least) 1300cc ex- Marina engine on eBay, along with the Moggy flywheel that I had a new ring-gear fitted to and holes drilled in to allow it to be fitted (to the Marina engine).
The engine owes me in the region of £100 and the flywheel £80 if anyone on here's interested......

Old Smokey....[frame]Image[/frame]
and it's replacement....[frame]Image[/frame]
One of the best investments I ever made..... an engine crane.
[frame]Image[/frame]
You will notice that my (not so) new engine has a breather on the timing chest cover and not one on the rocker cover, do people think this a better set up? If so I shall continue to run this 'as is'.

Ironically I've replaced one problem and ended up with another! I now have no pedal pressure on my clutch. It was okay before and I'm not loosing fluid, I suspect one of two things (or maybe both)......
during the various occasions when I have had to remove my engine I have simply hung / rested the clutch slave cylinder to one side, could this have put strain on the flexi-hose connecting it to the master cylinder? Someone has already suggested that it may have collapsed internally, would this lead to loss of pressure?
I have a new spare flexi-hose, so this is the easy solution... providing I can separate it from where it joins to the master! :roll:
Secondly could the slave cylinder have failed? I never felt it was a particularly strong (/ powerful) unit but it was part of the hydraulic clutch kit I bought from David Manners in Birmingham (no reflection on them as I've always found them very helpful) to attach top my type 9 gearbox.
Has anyone had any problems with these / can anyone suggest a better slave unit that will fit?
Many thanks in advance for any help / advice.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Out with the old.......

Post by bmcecosse »

The timing case breather is essential on a 1275 - WITH a rocker cover breather -use them both! Your new engine doesn't have a crankshaft damper (or starting handle dog...) ...why is that?? ALL 1275 engines have a crank damper - fit the ones from your old engine if you don't have spares... You will gain a good few BHP if you cut the inlet section off that cast manifold - and use an alloy inlet instead -the cast exhaust is fine - keep it. No idea about hydraulic clutch - but i can't see it will suddenly be anything gone wrong - have you used the flywheel and clutch pack from the old engine - transferred to the new ? Oh -and DO NOT lift the engine like that! You will bend the studs and maybe damage the rocker cover....... You need a spreader bar fitted to, or through, the lifting eyes so the lift on each of the lifting eyes is vertical - not angled inwards as your picture shows!!! :o :o :o
ImageImage
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi BMC,
It came as you see it, so I have no idea why there was no damper but as you've pointed it out I will swap the one off my old engine ASAP. Oversight on my part.
Personal ignorance with regard to the spreader bar, I've never had one, I'll have to source one. The engine is in now but I'll get one for next time.
I did reuse my existing clutch, the engine came with its flywheel and it's in slightly better nick than mine, so I kept it, always good to have one on each engine anyway.
I'll try changing the flexi-hose tomorrow...........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Update on the clutch issue:
Slave cylinder and flexi-hose both renewed. Plus all connections checked as okay. I now have pressure on the clutch peddle but it is prone to disappearing then returning once I have pumped the peddle a couple of times. As I've checked or changed everything else it must be an intermittent fault inside the master cylinder. (System bled and refilled every time I've 'fiddled' with it.)
Blast!
That means I'll have to strip out my interior again!
Still on the plus side I'll be able to strip my car in my sleep shortly!! :lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The perils of going to a hydraulic clutch.... Seems very strange this would happen when an engine is changed.. Are you sure the clutch stroke is the same now as it was before? Flyhwheel same thickness/sitting on an identical crank flange?
ImageImage
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi BMC,
One ex-MG Midget engine and flywheel swapped for another, all retained ancillaries, including the clutch set up, swapped straight over with no issues.
Just one of those things I guess..................... :roll:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - it's NEVER just 'one of these things'.... Maybe the second engine had been fitted with a Marina crank ?? Someone had been 'at it' when it had no damper fitted. Just to get it clear in my head again...did you fit the same flywheel - transferred complete from one engine to the other? And the carbon release - was it changed or just the same ?
ImageImage
Tudge
Minor Fan

Post by Tudge »

PM sent about marina engine. :)
1965 2Dr - She's called Lola

Tudge
Minor Fan

Post by Tudge »

PM sent about marina engine. :)
1965 2Dr - She's called Lola

welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

"You will notice that my (not so) new engine has a breather on the timing chest cover and not one on the rocker cover, do people think this a better set up? If so I shall continue to run this 'as is'".

Never seen a 1275 engine without a crank breather before, any more pics of the engine?, how did you establish that it was a 1275 motor?

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I used the flywheel that came attached to the engine, as it is exactly the same as my old one (both engines match in every detail) but with better teeth on the ring gear.

As an update on the engine, it is now fully installed and driving fine, except for having to give the clutch peddle a couple of 'pumps' now and again.

To clarify, when I say 'one of those things', I mean just another one of those things that I shall have to track down the cause of and fix.

The only detail that doesn't match, as BMC has pointed out, is the lack of a crank damper, which I shall rectify as soon as I've retrieved the one off my old (now spare needing a rebuild) engine.

Whilst it's out of the car I shall also track down a replacement timing chest cover with said breather on it.......
.....though it ran perfectly well for many years without one........
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

bmcecosse wrote:Your new engine doesn't have a crankshaft damper (or starting handle dog...) ...why is that?? ALL 1275 engines have a crank damper
My '68 sprite 1275 Gold Seal engine doesn't (well didn't - its got a damped pulley now). The crank pulley was exactly the same colour as the engine
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Update on the clutch issue:
Turned out to be that the master and slave cylinders were on the way out.
They progressively got worse after my last post on the subject. I changed the slave first but whilst a mild improvement was noticed it was still hard to change gear, this steadily got worse again until I sourced a replacement for the clutch master cylinder, which I fitted last night.
Today I had easy gear changes for the first time in ages......... what a pleasure.............
Now, if my car will just behave itself for a while, I might even get to the National!! Fingers crossed!............
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done getting it fixed.....and for keeping us updated.
ImageImage
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

No problem but you just know that the blasted clutch will wear out next, so I'll end up having it all out again! :lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Treat it carefully!
ImageImage