Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rust bucket
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

No oil pressure

Post by Rust bucket »

Rebuild my 1098 engine now fitted with gearbox, next step... see if I have got oil pressure, filled it with 20/50 no plugs in yet and connected up the oil gauge. Cranked the engine over six times for around four seconds a time, nothing.....when I fitted the new oil pump I primed it with is much oil as I could before bolting it to the block, what can I do now, :( don't want to remove the engine again.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: No oil pressure

Post by les »

As long as the oil warning lamp goes out you will have pressure. Does it? If you must use a gauge, you probably need to bleed the tube to it.

Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

No the oil light doesn't go out, horrible feeling I just didn't prime the pump right on assembly.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You can remove the pipe that runs from the block to the filter head, and using a small funnel ( I have used an old fitting, with a hose attached; which, pointing upwards makes it easier to fill) feed oil into the block, and turn the engine over backwards, this will suck the oil into the pump, put half a pint or so in this way and it should get primed. You can use the crank nut and spanner to turn the engine backward, a slow process. You may think of another way.
Maybe plugs out, tighten the fan belt and using the fan blades might turn the engine.

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

I wouldn't rely entirely on the oil light as the switches can be unreliable. Do you have another oil pressure switch to try?

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Silly question. Have you connected the oil pressure sensor wire?
Have you got the correct wire to the warning light on the speedo?
[sig]3580[/sig]
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Yes I do have another switch I could try, good idea to try as you said to get oil to the pump via the the pipework and turning the engine backwards, thanks. :) :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

What pump and what pump drive was fitted when you reassembled the engine?
Did you remove, clean and refit the pressure release valve. Check that it is not stuck in the open position and that the release valve seat is still in place and did not fall out when the engine was stripped.
What you did in priming the pump originally was correct and it should pick up oil with no problem.
Try what les has suggested and see how you get on.

Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

It's the correct wire to the oil switch as I marked it when removing the engine, didn't touch the speedo end.
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Standard slot drive pump from one of the parts people, yes did clean remove and clean valve, I'll check and see if it's stuck before I go on, thanks all.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Do not forget to check that the release valve seat is in the block. No seat no oil pressure.

Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Thanks for that, I didn't know there was a seat for the valve, just assumed the seat was machined in the block.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have just checked the Minor wksp manual Section AA.3 and you are right :oops:

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

That got me fumbling through the manuals! :D

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Whilst I have to admit failure on this one I am certain at some time in the distant past or sooner I have come across 'A' series with oil pressure release valves with inserted oil pressure relief valve seats. Possibly in the same batch of Minor blocks that had liners fitted from new as mentioned and discussed in a recent post. After working for more than 50 years on Minors the memory is not what it used to be. Now where did I put those memory restoration pills :D
My son bought me some of these http://www.neatoshop.com/product/Memory ... or-Moments for Christmas but they do not seem to have made any difference, perhaps that is why they have been discontinued :roll: :roll:

robby
Minor Friendly

Post by robby »

Did you fill the filter with oil before fitting it? If you didn`t, it will take an age to get oil pressure up just by cranking it, even the 3 or 4 PSI that`s only needed to put the oil light out. I have a top quality oil pressure gauge kit and always plug that in to check oil pressure on a new engine. The one time I forgot to fill the filter, I had the same worries as the needle didn`t move no matter how long I cranked it for (without the plugs in of course). Filled the filter bowl up and hey presto, slight oil pressure after not much cranking.

Rob
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Another clue :D no I just assembled it all empty, just taken the oil filter pipe off now so i'll put some down the hole and fill the tube / canister with oil and try that.
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Thank God for that, oil light went out after the second try of cranking, pressure gauge now showing 60psi on the gauge after cranking for around ten seconds. did the trick by pouring oil down the oil filter pipe hole in the block and turning the engine over backwards, then filling the filter bowl as you said, many thanks all. :D :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well done :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done for realising it was a problem - many just fill up the sump and start the engine - giving it a good old 'rev' to get the light to go out... And of course they rip the surface of the shells while doing so. It is extremely important to get the pressure up before fitting the plugs - as you have done. :D
ImageImage