Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
anubis121
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Speedo change and old number plates

Post by anubis121 »

I've recently purchased a new Moggy to replace my recently stolen one...its from 1970,but the problem I have is I loved the look of my 68.so..to that end I wish to change the speedo to a 60's one and also change the modern plates it currently has and try to get hold of some black and white ones.....anyone know how this can be done. If at all?
lowride stepside
Minor Fan

Re: Speedo change and old number plates

Post by lowride stepside »

You should have no trouble with the plates , loads of companies out there even your local motor spares shop should help .speedo will swap . Not sure if the gear ratio is the same , but someone wearing an anorak will be along soon
speed not tweed
anubis121
Minor Friendly

Post by anubis121 »

thank you
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

Jepsons for plates. Brilliant service mine came within 3 days £34 ish inc vat & postage. Had to fax or email my V5 and id etc.[frame]Image[/frame]

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

A 1970 car should have the same speedo as the lost 68 car.....Black face with 1408 tpm. . I hope you have fitted at least one 'secret switch' to your new car! Don't want it going the same way as the old one......
ImageImage
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Anubis,
Glad you felt able to get another Moggy, lets have a pic on here to celebrate! :D
I have now got two 'secret switches' on mine now and a steering lock. May even get a wheel clamp if I find I have to leave it anywhere for any length of time (going on holiday for example). I have a good neighbour who would watch her for me but they can't be expected to spot everything / be in all the time.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

What you will need is an early 1098 silver faced speedometer, It goes up to 90 rather than 80 and has the same insides as the later black one, I know this as I have a 1098 gearbox and an early silver faced speedometer which didn't work, so i swapped the insides for the 90 one!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor- ... 27d966ffcd
Try the one above, this is the one you need, the 80 ones are the wrong calibration

As for the number plates, Jepson are brilliant, if you have a saloon, tell them to make the rear number plate to fit the boot!
They do the exact size for you!
Phil
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
anubis121
Minor Friendly

Post by anubis121 »

I take it you mean secret switches for fuel/batter cut off?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Fuel for sure.....Ignition/battery/burglar alarm/10,000 volt steering wheel - you make your own choices ! :D
ImageImage
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I assume the speedo issue is the 1970 car will have the very late speedo with km as well as mph on it and anubis prefers the '60s era one with the concentric rings in the centre. Should be a direct swap but check the 4 digit tpm (turns per mile number) just below the mileage as van speedos will be differently calibrated. Can't remember offhand what they are but it needs to be the same as yours!
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

A silver speedo will not be right for a 1970 car - and the fuel gauge won't work either.....
ImageImage
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Well neither will the mid 60s black one with concentric rings, but presumably thats what the poster had in his '68 car and what he would like to fit in his '70 car and I think that should work ok. Its the older silver/gold faced ones where the fuel gauge is different.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed yes -I hadn't realised there were different style black speedos..... as long as it is 1408 tpm, it will be fine !
ImageImage
Tudge
Minor Fan

Post by Tudge »

Anyone know what the deal is with changing speedo's & the mileage? I'm guessing they'll pick it up on MOT, does it cause any problems?

I had to change my speedo after it jammed up at the dizzying heights of 65mph!
Cheers
1965 2Dr - She's called Lola

drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

On MoT's we just record the mileage. If we record it wrongly IE put a trip mileage or just make a mistake we can correct it within a couple of hours by issueing a replacement. Not sure how long we have to do this but it's only a short period, certanly only within hours.

It has no comeback with Vosa re wrong mileage as long as if there is an enquiry IE an appeal the mileage recorded is somewhat right or can be justified. New or fresh speedo's are fitted all the time particulary on classics

Tudge
Minor Fan

Post by Tudge »

Tidy. Cheers for the info
1965 2Dr - She's called Lola

anubis121
Minor Friendly

Post by anubis121 »

Cheers guys.yes im after putting the black 60's one in.its vanity I know, but I really do think it looks better.
anubis121
Minor Friendly

Post by anubis121 »

On a note with secrurity...whats the best wheel clamp to use with orignal wheels?
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

It is easy enough to change the mileage to match the old one 8)