Coolant question ...

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bigginger
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Post by bigginger »

Relfy wrote:You iron, Kate? What do you do that for then?

Mind you, I'm not exactly proud of my principle that once its been on for ten minutes the creases will fall out anyway......
What's not be proud of? It's the only way to go about it....

a :D
Relfy
Minor Fan

Post by Relfy »

Oh good. Thanks for clearing that up, Colin. :D

No, not a student anymore les, i've been promoted, to waster. ;-)
But students dont have dirty fridges... there's never anything in them to make them dirty.....
(violins)
Eleanor
1969 Trafalgar blue 2-door 'Wilberforce'
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

You iron, Kate? What do you do that for then?
Well, since this occasion when I was at work and my ward sister made some comments about "not being able to find an iron", I, uh, 'decided' it might be a good idea to iron my uniforms, now at then at least.
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Colin is there any disadvantage with using bottled water over tap water when mixed with antifreeze, or indeed the free distilled water as suggested by Les.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Kevin,

As far as the actual performance of water (with antifreeze and inhibitor), there's little difference (in my view - I've no data to verify this).

There is a slight benefit in using hard water - the scale helps to seal very small pin-holes (the Radweld works by hardening on exposure to air).

I'd honestly go for tap water in the radiator, save the melted condensate from the fride for the battery (or use purified/deionised). Bottled water is usually rather expensive tap water (or purified water).
The Mineral water is usually harder than the Thames Tap water......

Colin
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The Mineral water is usually harder than the Thames Tap water......
Thanks Colin, obviously better to use tap water then.
Just one other thought if rain water was available would there be any problems in using that ?
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
MikeNash
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Coolant question

Post by MikeNash »

Regarding the use of neat antifreeze the specific heat of alcohol is a good deal lower than water so its ability to shift the heat to the radiator is a lot less - but as we're "over radiatored" you might be alright. But as a lad in the 60s at the Royal Aircraft Establishment (ah! those were the days!) I read a wartime test paper on getting the right ratio of water/antifreeze for Rolls-Royce Merlins and they came up with 60/40. This was based on having enough water to shift the heat (and also boil off as steam when things got bad -an extremely valuable attribute of water) and enough antifreeze to do the job. The antifreeze also lowers the viscosity of the mix which enables it to be pumped faster - all the better for cooling.
Re hard water - just use rain water out of the garden butt! If you're too young to garden then get some off a neighbour - gardeners are by nature safe and friendly. Mike N.
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Mike,

thanks for that info. From looking at the anti-freeze I could tell is was more viscous than water, so that using 100% glycol didn't seem right.

I notice that the supply of Purified water in the pharmacies is less common - mind you our steam iron uses tap water (and occasionally spits our bits of lime scale ).
There's a big note in the manual - don't use purified water!

Colin