Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rust bucket
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Gearlever assembly

Post by Rust bucket »

I can't see how to assemble the gearlever in my ribbed gearbox as the spring and nylon bush were missing when I bought it, by looking at some of the diagrams it looks like it's assembled like this, but there is nothing holding it all together?., it did select the gears when assembled without the spring and bush.[frame]Image[/frame]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Gearlever assembly

Post by philthehill »

You have the right spring Pt No: 2A3390 (item 11 below) but the wrong plastic bush Pt No: 2A3468. The plastic bush in your picture fits between control lever Pt No: 2A3384 and selector lever (front) Pt No: 2A3385.
The correct bush and to give it its correct name it is a button and is Pt No: 2A3467 (item 10 below) and fits between the spring and the bottom of the gear lever. You can see the difference in shape between the bush and the button and the step/reduced dia of the button fits and is located inside the spring.
The gear selection will still work without the spring and the bush but better with the correct parts and the lever will be kept up against the gear lever retaining plate Pt No: 2A3339 - so less vertical slop.[frame]Image[/frame]

Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Thanks for the answer, part numbers and picture, I've not seen that one before :D .
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Got the correct nylon part now assembled in the right order but seems impossible to fit, :x I can't get the gear lever down far enough so the top steel plate is flush with the housing. It all still won't fit together with just the nylon button and no spring, am I trying to fit these parts to a late type gearbox from which they have been eliminated?.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You sure there aren't any old parts buried below - stopping the new parts going in?
ImageImage
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

No, there is just a steel cup connected to what I would call a selector rod.
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

As above....and does the new button push on to the gear lever end ok with the o ring fitted?

Taupe
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Doesn't push on, not deep or wide enough for that, fits on the end but the o ring is exposed.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The gear lever fitment is as my post/diagram above.
It could be as bmc suggests an old button in the bottom or even the anti-rattle plunger/spring. Make sure that the slot in the gear lever slips past and either side of the gear lever locating pin
The 'O' ring just stops the gear lever rattling around in the cup.
The button just pushes upwards on the bottom of gear lever. It does not fit around the ball on the bottom of the gear lever.
The answer has to be something so simple that you are not seeing it.
If you still have a problem post a photo of the gear lever housing from above.

Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

:oops: With the aid of an inspection lamp I can see that what I thought was solid steel turns out too be the old nylon cup pressed down below the edge of the rod, no wonder it selected Okay when assembled and didn't want any more springs and cups! .. :roll: :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

:roll: :D :wink:
ImageImage