system 4

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tinker
MMOC Member: No

system 4

Post by tinker »

I've been happily running my minor on LRP for the last 5 years but as its gradually disappearing I've been considering getting my engine converted to unleaded. I've just been advised to have a 'system 4' put in rather than an unleaded head, but I can't seem to find any information about the system and whether there are any pros/cons (apart from the price) compared to an unleaded head.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

use unleaded fuel and castrol valve master
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

use unleaded fuel and castrol valve master
it's probably the same price as LRP (cheaper if you buy direct from Castrol instead of getting it from Halfords) and unlike LRP, you know what you are getting and Castrol valvemaster actually works!!
Don't use the cheapo additive or one of those silly inline catalysts as neither will work.

If you're planning on doing over approx 40,000 miles with the unleaded head, then you will break even on the £££'s compared to using the Castrol additive. If you get rid of the car before you clock up serious miles then the unleaded head was a waste of money compared to usng an additive.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
tinker

Post by tinker »

I think, from what I understand, that the 'system 4' I was recommended is a catalyst sytem ... you say this won't work ?

In which case I think I'd be best off with the castrol valvemaster as my mileage is only 1000-2000 miles per year.

Thanks for your help !
Cam

Post by Cam »

Using Castrol valvemaster and unleaded is better for the engine too as it will run cooler, have more power and be less prone to pinking.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

As the others have said use the valvemaster as I have not heard of anyone having problems with using it.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

And if you don't mind spending a little more the Valvemaster Plus, which contains an octane booster, is excellent.
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

I've been trying to locate any evidence for the tin amalgam systems working and the mechanism of their action. All I can find (online) are customer testamonials and references to "testing".

The fuel is affected by the tin - though no-one has explained the mechanism - with results dating back to 1922. Well, I suspect that petrol production, method, and quality are a bit different now, and there should be some improvement in the scientific methods to show how it works (research grant anyone?).

Colin
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

there should be some improvement in the scientific methods to show how it works (research grant anyone?).
Car companies spend hundreds of millions trying to get their cars to be more efficient and produce less emissions. If some scrap tin or magnets in the fuel line made a worthwhile improvement, it would be fitted at the factory....
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

I seem to recall Practical Classics running a proper test of some similar "catalyst" type products a good few years ago. They ended up with a lot of valve seat recession. The manufacturer made a great fuss about not proper conditions, and wanting to examine the head; but I never heard any more. The test consisted of real driving. Conversely, Castrol Valvemaster is a fine product; never had any problems, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.