Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rust bucket
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

SU HS4

Post by Rust bucket »

Soon I will be connecting up the SU HS4 on my car, I think the top one on the float bowl is fuel in?, and the other a vent?, also do I block off the other one which is at forty five degrees or connect to something.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: SU HS4

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't block off anything...unless the carb is part of a twin-set ? Make SURE the float bowl is dead vertical when you have it fitted. What manifold are you using ??
ImageImage
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Yes, the pipe on top of the float chamber is the fuel line from the pump. Where is the other pipe? You might have a small one on the same side as the float chamber - that is for the vacuum pipe to the distributor; and one on the opposite side to the float chamber, which is connected to the crankcase breather to suck fumes back into the engine.
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Manifold is a water heated alloy copy of something, only I wasn't going to connect up the manifold, carb has a tiny pipe for distributor as well as this other pipe, I'll see if I can get a picture up.
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

This is a new old stock carb I got of ebay some time ago, has a ADE needle which I'm going too attempt to wittle down to the profile of an AAA / AAU, could the carb be part of twin carb set?.[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No it looks fine as long as the float bowl is vertical. The copper pipe is the breather pipe - connect to rocker cover. The upper brass pipe with 'bell' end is the fuel inlet - the other is the breather/overflow. Put a rubber hose on it and lead below - although I usually do a 'swan neck' to stop any unnecessary fuel loss.
ImageImage
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Okay, thanks very much for that.