Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rust bucket
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Toe in problem

Post by Rust bucket »

Bought a recondition steering rack a couple of years ago but as my car has taken so long to repair I've only just got to the stage of setting the toe in, my problem is I can't reduce the toe in to the 2.5mm specified, best is about 10+mm difference!. my car has got spacers on the eye bolts (two 1/8 washers on each side) can't see that would make any difference, the rack has got thick 16mm steering arms, they supplied the track rod ends as well, I wonder if they have given me a Wolseley 1500 rack ?? :x
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Re: Toe in problem

Post by alexmcguffie »

So your toe-in is too much? Suggesting the steering rack+track rods is too long? i have similar spacers on my eye-bolts but still have plenty of adjustability on the track rods.

I guess your potions are source a new rack + TRE's or shorten your current TRE's to bring the toe out. Would the TRE's have sufficient thread to allow them to be shortened?
Glad to be back!
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

At the moment I've got toe out with the track rod ends showing ten threads each suggesting the steering arms are a bit to short.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just keep winding them out - it won't take much. As long as the TRE is engaged by say 1/2" on the Track rod it will be fine.
ImageImage
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Okay thanks I'll have another go at it.