Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dryad
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: front wheel bearings

Post by Dryad »

I'm about to replace my front bearings, but am a little confused as to the suggestions for SKF 40° face adjusted bearings;

The following have been suggested on this thread, and as far as I can see there is no difference except in price - a BIG difference!

7205BEP - Inner
7303BEP - Outer

and

7205BECBP - Inner
7303BECBP - Outer

Both sets appear to be 40° face adjusted.

Comments?

katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

According to the SKF website the BECBP series have a slightly higher load rating and also a slightly higher speed rating, 17,000 rpm as opposed to 15,000 rpm.
Talk slow, think fast!
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

Thanks Katy. Well I can't imagine a situation where my Morris wheels will be spinning at more than 17,000RPM so I'll go for the much cheaper ones! :D

davidoakes

Post by davidoakes »

I'm also having trouble with front wheel bearings (similarly to previous contributors, I've fitted brand new front wheel bearings only to be left with slight play and an MOT advisory). I think that I can solve my problems based on what I've read here. However, does anyone know what 'face adjusted' means?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It really is time someone took the suppliers of these useless bearings to task on the matter - perhaps even to Court!
http://www.skf.com/group/products/beari ... index.html
ImageImage
GustavPumpkin
Minor Friendly

Post by GustavPumpkin »

Oh, no!!!!

Just ordered Bull Motif premium wheel bearings.... :(

ARGH!

Wish I had read this thread first, well, live and learn....

Hope they will take them back?

Ok, so I'd better get them from SKF, I guess?
mrb
Minor Fan

Post by mrb »

After speaking to a non to happy man at bull Motif l returned my bearings as faulty and am still awaiting a credit or a refusal to accept them back !
They argue that these premium bearings are the best ! my garage who happened to fit them is willing to argue the fact due to the thickness and quality supplied to me ,they are of a inferior quality and no way premium as quoted ! hence the arrive in unmarked/plain boxes - so l will be prepared to argue the matter further if needed .

Fitted replacement bearings which fitted better - didn't rumble and only cost a little more ! good luck on trying to exchange them

Dave

GustavPumpkin
Minor Friendly

Post by GustavPumpkin »

mrb wrote:After speaking to a non to happy man at bull Motif l returned my bearings as faulty and am still awaiting a credit or a refusal to accept them back !
They argue that these premium bearings are the best ! my garage who happened to fit them is willing to argue the fact due to the thickness and quality supplied to me ,they are of a inferior quality and no way premium as quoted ! hence the arrive in unmarked/plain boxes - so l will be prepared to argue the matter further if needed .

Fitted replacement bearings which fitted better - didn't rumble and only cost a little more ! good luck on trying to exchange them

Dave

Yes, thank you! I am warned.
Bearings arrived this morning, as you said in plain box.
Fingers crossed we'll get our money back. :roll:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

INSIST on it - tell them they are not fit for purpose - as proven by members of the MMOC and discussed widely on the MMOC forum.
ImageImage
GustavPumpkin
Minor Friendly

Post by GustavPumpkin »

Yes, you are right.
GustavPumpkin
Minor Friendly

Post by GustavPumpkin »

Dryad wrote:I'm about to replace my front bearings, but am a little confused as to the suggestions for SKF 40° face adjusted bearings;

The following have been suggested on this thread, and as far as I can see there is no difference except in price - a BIG difference!

7205BEP - Inner
7303BEP - Outer

and

7205BECBP - Inner
7303BECBP - Outer

Both sets appear to be 40° face adjusted.

Comments?

Sorry, I'm new to all this, so still learning.

So, to replace one front wheel bearing I need an inner an outer and the seal?

Found a place where I can order them online (just the ones from SKF mentioned here), but want to know I'm doing the right thing.

Thank you.
:)
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

Yes, you need an inner and outer bearing and a seal per front wheel. I would strongly recommend you go with the SKF brand because they have been tried and tested by people on this forum. Don't just get ones that are the right size because they are not likely to be the 40° face adjusted variety, which is what is needed.

These SKF part numbers are what you need: 7205BEP for the Inner, and 7303BEP for the outer.

mrb
Minor Fan

Post by mrb »

Reference my post the other day ! have actually now received a credit from Bull Motif for wheel bearings - so am quite satisfied :D

The supplier l used and was more than happy with - both quality/price and really helpful was Simply Bearings - near Manchester ! ordered on the phone one morning and they arrived next day

Dave

GustavPumpkin
Minor Friendly

Post by GustavPumpkin »

Dryad wrote:Yes, you need an inner and outer bearing and a seal per front wheel. I would strongly recommend you go with the SKF brand because they have been tried and tested by people on this forum. Don't just get ones that are the right size because they are not likely to be the 40° face adjusted variety, which is what is needed.

These SKF part numbers are what you need: 7205BEP for the Inner, and 7303BEP for the outer.

Fantastic! Thank you!!!

Yes, will definitely go for those, thanks.

My only trouble is now finding the right sized oil seal? How do I find the right size?

sorry, for so many questions....
GustavPumpkin
Minor Friendly

Post by GustavPumpkin »

mrb wrote:Reference my post the other day ! have actually now received a credit from Bull Motif for wheel bearings - so am quite satisfied :D

The supplier l used and was more than happy with - both quality/price and really helpful was Simply Bearings - near Manchester ! ordered on the phone one morning and they arrived next day

Dave

Yes, I'm ordering from them, good idea doing it over the phone, as they can tell me which seals I need.

Thanks for your feedback.

Great news, to hear you got your money back from Bull motif!!!
GustavPumpkin
Minor Friendly

Post by GustavPumpkin »

Just been on the phone to simply bearings and it turns out I need to know the size of the oil seal, as there are 2 which would fit.

Help, please. :)

My Morris is from 1968 in case that makes any difference.

thanks so much.
GustavPumpkin
Minor Friendly

Post by GustavPumpkin »

All sorted now! Can order the whole lot.

Thank you

:D
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by dudload »

reviving this thread as per other post with Phil it appears my bearings could be on their way out. I'm buying the 7205BEP and 7303BEP bearings from bearing king, but wondering what size of oil seal i need?
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by dudload »

scrap that - have found the below from (guess who) Phil on another thread. posting here to keep in one place

OD is 2.125", ID is 1.375" and thickness is 0.3125" (0.375" is probably OK, but it would stick out 1/16")
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

That's very useful, thanks! :)