Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Fuel pump filter removal

Post by myoldjalopy »

Hi,

Does anyone know if the fuel pump filter can be removed without removing the pump from the car? It looks like it might be possible....

Thank you,

Pete
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Re: Fuel pump filter removal

Post by andy.pointeer »

Yes I have removed my filter, but is a bit tricky as its very hard to see the filter cover as under the pump. Just make sure you have a good washer to seal when you refit.
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Post by bmcecosse »

And be ready to soak up the petrol that will run out...
ImageImage
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by alexmcguffie »

As filters go its not the best in the world. I'd check your float chamber for silt at the same time too.
Glad to be back!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Thank you for your comments and advice. The filter and its housing did have a lot of stuff that looked like coffee granuals in it but the pump still runs too rapidly to my mind. There is no leak anywhere that I can see and it stops ticking when the float is full (ignition on, engine not running) but is very busy clattering away, especially when accelerating. Bit noisy too.

Any thoughts - a perforation in the diaphragm, perhaps?

Also, while I am here, any suggestions on how to get the valve cage and its contents out? I'm looking at a spare pump I have, and these parts seem to be stuck in the pump inlet housing (that is, inside the aluminium body of the pump). I want to check its OK before I try it as a replacement (it does tick nicely when connected to battery power).
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Have a look at this thread: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 66#p532971

Valves are on the other side from the filter. Unscrew the spigot where the fuel line to carburettor attaches. One valve is held in by a circlip, the other is further down. It may well be stuck but you can poke through from the fuel filter side.

If you are going to this trouble it would be as well to fully overhaul your spare pump with new diaphragm, gaskets, fibre washers and points.

Coffee granule stuff is rust from the tank.You may well have a partial blockage in the fuel line from the tank or the pick up in the tank.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Thank you for that. The valves are now out but washers look very ropy :(

Also, back to my question as to whether anyone knows if a split diaphragm would make the pump work overly hard? It does seem to beat very fast most of the time.

Thanks
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

A split in the diaphragm would make the pump ineffective and work overly hard but it could also allow fuel to leak past the diaphragm and up to the points where it can be ignited by the spark at the points. The diaphragm could well be partially stuck or hardened and seeing as you have seen rust in the filter the pump is probably full of rubbish. The pump will also work very hard if the fuel line from the tank is partly blocked.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen