Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
martin418
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

series 2 upper steering column bush worn

Post by martin418 »

hi , my s2 has a worn upper steering column bush the shaft is ok just the bronze bush is worn , has anyone found a solution to this ? ,i am wondering if the bush is just pressed into the rubber if so i can find or make a new bush but i don't want to wreck the mounting as i don't have a spare
martin418
Minor Fan

Re: series 2 upper steering column bush worn

Post by martin418 »

problem solved , it is a std bush , simply bearings stock the same imperial size size or a metric equivalent which is a few thou smaller so it can be polished to fit the shaft and take out the wear , i will post details on how it goes
gtt1951
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by gtt1951 »

martin418 wrote:problem solved , it is a std bush , simply bearings stock the same imperial size size or a metric equivalent which is a few thou smaller so it can be polished to fit the shaft and take out the wear , i will post details on how it goes
I'll be interested in details of this, as I have 3 such steering columns, George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
tankosl

Post by tankosl »

Hi,
I see this was a while ago but I'm hoping it's still active!!! I was out and about today and suddenly developed a huge amount of free play in the column. When I pulled over and checked, I found the bronze bush had slid up the shaft, completely out of the rubber housing......... I've managed to tap it back in but I'm concerned it may happen again. Does anybody know what fixes the Bush in the rubber, is it just pushed in or is it bonded?
TIA.....
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

i just used super glue and its been fine , a spot oil now and again helps the bush
tankosl

Post by tankosl »

martin418 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:08 pm i just used super glue and its been fine , a spot oil now and again helps the bush
Thanks very much Martin.....it's lasted for 200 miles and come out again so I'm going to try your superglue remedy!!!
tankosl

Post by tankosl »

So we are now another 200 miles in, "post superglue" and no sign of movement ......things are looking promising!!!