Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MikeNash
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Fitting a 9.5 gall tank to a Traveller

Post by MikeNash »

Hello chums!

Recently I filled the tank to the brim the night before a 300 mile journey to Newcastle and next morning found a couple of big stains on the garage floor of dissolved underseal. And the garage stank of petrol. Clearly the pin holes in the tank have got a lot worse and its time for a change. I fancy the big 9.5 gallon type in stock at ESM but the review there, while praising the tank, says the hole in the car needs trimming to fit it. (Review by Joseph Hanvy on the 12th of Jan 2014.)

Before I take the plunge, have you fitted one of these, and if so, do you have any advice or comment? And will the spare wheel (a standard wheel with a 145R14 tyre) still fit in the usual place in the Trav or will it have to be moved elsewhere?

Looking forward gratefully to your advice, regards, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Re: Fitting a 9.5 gall tank to a Traveller

Post by mike.perry »

Is the filler on the 9.5 gall tank in the same position as the Traveller 6.5 gall tank filler? I doubt if the spare wheel will fit
My 175/80/13 will not fit on top of the 6.5 gall tank on my Traveller :(
[sig]3580[/sig]
ColinChandler
Minor Fan

Post by ColinChandler »

Hello chaps,
I looked at fitting one of these larger tanks - admittedly to a saloon rather than a traveller - but when I phoned up about them, they are taller from the mounting flange to the top of the tank which means there isn't enough room left to fit the spare wheel in under the floor. I'm not sure about changing the aperture because I didn't get that far but it might well be worth asking your supplier just in case things have changed. At least you are aware there may be differences.
Cheers, Colin.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Fit a 'space saver' wheel under the bonnet ? There's plenty of room. But why the big tank - there are PLENTY of petrol stations around - a wee (pun) break on a long journey to stretch the legs is not bad thing! A spare gallon can tucks in easily beside the spare wheel anyway.
ImageImage
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I'll go ahead with it next month - but I'll see one first!

Re Roy's points, the rationale for the bigger tank is not just the extra range but also the problems of jams, etc on motorways. Firstly on range, cruising at 60 mph (true) I get about 35 mpg which gives an absolute range of about 230 miles. Taking the inaccurate fuel gauge into account and the need to fill up long before you run out that means I tend to only count on about 175 miles before refill. If I've a trailer on too, I'll get about 32 mpg giving an absolute range of only 210 miles making it even worse.

But the real trouble arises if you get stuck in a jam esp that sort that's stop start and crawls at no more than 20 mph. Then the fuel consumption rise into the twenties per gallon! Even carrying a spare gallon in a can (as I do) doesn't give much confidence then. Further, if there's a crash up ahead you can be turned off the motorway, and while the young lady in the satnav will sort out the navigation, you probably don't have clue where the next open petrol station is. Fortunately, over the years I've got away with it so far, but having the need to change the tank, it seems best to get a bigger one.

Re the spare wheel, I suppose it'll have to go inside the bonnet. A couple of years ago I saw at a National Rally (?) this done with a light frame over the engine which took the weight of the wheel so it didn't bear down on the bonnet hinges. Alas, in a big computer crash I lost my photos of it. Does anyone know of this arrangement? It was on a green Morry van, I think.

Regards, MikeN.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I follow your logic ok. I just never go on Motorways with the classics.... so no 'jams' that can't be easily avoided.... Not many jams up here anyway!
ImageImage
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Mike I am sure that was on here have you tried the search facility
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Thanks for the reminder, Mr Imscher; I'll give it a go. MikeN.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Mike, You are a pessimist!
I have a 6.5 gall tank in my Series MM and if I am going on a journey or the gauge is reading low then I put a 2 gall spare can in the boot, and I tow a trailer.
So far I have never run out altough I have had the fuel pump ticking furiously as I pulled in to the filling station
[sig]3580[/sig]
Vigil
Minor Fan

Post by Vigil »

I saw a 9.5 tank put in a traveler last summer.
They had to trim the original hole to make it wider so the tank would sit down like the original.
I do not know if it obstructed the spare from fitting for sure or not.
If i had to guess i would say if the tire fit with the 6.5 it would fit the 9.5.
I know the 9.5 i put in my van the tank was the same on the top but was a little lower on the bottom.
The guy wit the Traveler moved so i can not ask him to be sure if his tire still fit.

Vigil
[b]-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*

1959 Morris Minor Van

Morris Minor Registry Of North America
http://www.morrisminor.us/

-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*[/b]
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

I have a 9.5 gallon tank in a saloon and the modifications to the existing space was minimal. It is a useful mod & I can usually go 350milrs+ betweem fuel stops.
Vigil
Minor Fan

Post by Vigil »

Jefftav wrote:I have a 9.5 gallon tank in a saloon and the modifications to the existing space was minimal. It is a useful mod & I can usually go 350milrs+ betweem fuel stops.
Did your tire still fit where intended?

Vigil
[b]-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*

1959 Morris Minor Van

Morris Minor Registry Of North America
http://www.morrisminor.us/

-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*[/b]
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

Unfortunately not but tools & spares go in that space and the spare wheel sits on the boot shelf.
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

A bit late, but thank you for all your comments and (partial!) encouragement.
I'll go ahead in the next couple of months with a 9.5 gall tank and expecting to put the spare wheel under the bonnet something like this http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25413 . However, I've seen what I consider an improvement to this whereby the weight of the wheel is taken on either the engine or a simple structure across the engine bay. A bit of experimenting is required, I think.
Rgards, MikeN.