No drive!

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!
MMOC Member: No

Re: No drive!

Post by chesney »

If you find it is out by a margin, drive at a known 50mph (confirmed via GPS or what not) and get an assistant to place the needle at 50 (speedo glass off obviously). That should make it accurate enough for general use.
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

I broke my axle a couple of days ago, so I'm going through the same fix.
Does anyone have a guess as to why or how this happens? :-?
Attachments
Broken Axle (5) 319x179.jpg
Broken Axle (5) 319x179.jpg (37.84 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Old age.
Due to the accelerating and braking of the car over time the axle half- shaft gets a rotational twist/set in it until it cannot twist anymore and then fails.
Lifting the inside wheel on cornering and the tyre then remaking contact with the road can give a short sharp shock to the half-shaft and which can again lead to failure.
Make sure that your axle casing is absolutely clean and there is no half-shaft residue left inside the casing. May be better to take both hubs off to ensure that cleanliness. I assume that the diff assy has been removed to get the broken half-shaft stub removed. Again that must be spotless before refitting.
Half-shafts get a rotational set/twist into them and if fitting a S/H half-shaft the S/H item must be scourced from the same side i.e. S/H drivers side half-shaft must only be fitted to the drivers side. If not the rotational set/twist will try to undo and the half-shaft will fail in very short time.
Upgraded half-shafts are a bonus but not all upgraded half-shafts meet the quality requirements so be selective if you go down the upgrade route.

rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Many of them have lasted 60 years, but if you drive hard enough they are more likely to break faster.

Axle tramp, dropping the clutch, speed bumps and pot holes all add a shock load.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

I've got an Ebay half shaft coming. I guess it's 50/50 that it's the proper side.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The S/H half-shaft should be clearly identified with the side of the vehicle/axle that the half-shaft was removed from.
I would not hesitate purchase a second - side known - half-shaft because if the half-shaft you have purchased is the wrong side I doubt that it will last long.

David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

The half shaft arrived without left/right markings. That's ok, because it's about 2 inches too short.
It's a BTA 806, for sprites and midgets. I guess they're a bit narrower cars. I'm back to searching for a ATA7057. Never too old to learn.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Having had three halfshaft failures now (over the course of the 28 years and 80,000 miles I've had the car), on long journeys such as to the MMOC National this weekend, I took a spare with me just in case...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

For checking which side you've got, there is normally more wear on one side of the splines than the other. One side polished, the other side more dark.
Cardiff, UK
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

That's interesting to know, as I recently purchased a couple of spares going cheap, just in case...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)