Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Oil filter housing parts

Post by olderisbetter »

Firstly hello all, I am a new member but a long time forum watcher, Moving to the point, I have a 1958 traveller and recently took the oil filter appart, its the paper element type and i can now see that i must have parts missing and the filter has been allowing oil to pass unfiltered for along time, There seems to be two big washers missing and a few seals and i am guessing a clip, are there any links to pictures or drawings anywhere i can be pointed to, thanks
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Oil filter housing parts

Post by bmcecosse »

ImageImage
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Thanks thats helpfull, but i think i might have a mix and match going on, the big washer that goes on the botton of the oil filter will only half cure my problem, i think there should be abother one on top and maybe some seals, it might be easier if i take some picture and upload them, thanks again rob
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No - nothing on top - it is exactly as in the MOSS diagrams.
ImageImage
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Ok, I think what i have is the center oil filter as pictured on this diagram
http://www.morrisminorspareparts.co.uk/ ... il-filters and parts 5,6,7,8 and 20 are missing allowing the oil to bypass the filter, I guess i can make up some of the parts from bits till i find spares.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I avoid the Bristol place.... :o I've never seen the type with plate above and below. Better to use the 'cartridge' paper filter rather than the loose felt shown - and then all you need are the plates and spring below.
ImageImage
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

To be fair i have never used the bristol place other than for reference, I have the cartridge filter in at the moment as thats what i was sold as the corrct filter from my local supplier, But as you say if i use the cartridge and plates with the spring it will be ok, At this point i think i cannot make it worse, If its had no proper oil filter fitted for a number of years i am sure the engine will be due some work thanks for replies :(

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done - unfortunately it is an all too common problem with Minors - owners (and 'garages' :roll: ) throwing away the lower plate with the old filter...and then the oil circulates without filtration. Although I like the old filter - and I like to keep the car 'original' as far as possible - there is no doubt that the 'screw on' filter conversion (from a Mini - or as a kit) certainly eliminates the risk of no filtration!
ImageImage
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

My car is a 1958 traveller thats not had much done and had been kept mainly origanal its not in amazing condition,However i am thinking the same as yourself as like to keep it as standard as possible, but i might just go for a spin on filter after i sort out the engine and keep all the original parts safe so i can revert back if i want, Now i have a bit more time in life i can build a collection of spares to keep me busy. :D

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Now i have pictures this might be easier to see, This is what i have after the cartridge filter is removed
you can see its not sealed at all at the top, the small groove made me think i have bits missing at first, then when i saw the exploded view i got it, so no oil filtering for years and i wondered if the filter could have covered the outlet aswell
i will have a spare engine sorted soon and i think the spin on filter will get fitted

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I don't see what the problem is - you are over-thinking it... Just shove the filter on, plate + spring below, and the rod up the middle. It's fine ! :lol:
ImageImage
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

OK

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The top plate which fits over the central stub is missing.
The top plate should be an interference fit over the central stub.
The filter element will not seal on what is remaining.
If I can find any pictures I will post on here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OIL-FILTER-HO ... 4638d7e554

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmc-Mini-Oil- ... 3cf7f02ab0

Whilst the above links are not Minor the filter top housing is the either the same or similar and the top plate referred to is easily visible.

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Thanks phil thats pretty much as i thought, I am not new to engines but its along time since i had anything with an A series in,
thanks for the links

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The top plate often comes loose and gets discarded with the oil filter without the person changing the oil filter element realising it.

Fitting the spin on oil filter is a very good move.
Personally it would be one of the first things I would do if I was running a 948cc/1098cc engine in my Minor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-SERIES-ENGI ... 3f4b535717

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 0b30f3b7ca

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As long as a filter cartridge with metal cap ends is used - as most are these days - I think the top plate is not necessary! But there's no doubt that a screw-on conversion avoids all the 'lost part' problems.
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Unfortunately whatever type of filter is used I would suggest that it does need the steel plate in place if for nothing more than to keep the filter clear of the bypass (the ball valve in the picture above).
Also most steel ended oil filters have some form of seal on the end (see links below) and that does need something to seal on i.e. the top plate. The slight flange/enlargement of the stub (at its top end) is insufficient for any efficient sealing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-MORRIS ... 234f868713

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-MORRIS-MI ... 43d9374362

The paper ended filters are good at sealing against the top plate and do not need a seal as the paper acts as the gasket.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed - I guess it depends how well the centre bore sits in the spigot. I was imagining it to be a snug fit - maybe some are. I don't understand how the top plate has been lost - it is a 'non-removable' part of the filter assembly. Screw on filter is the answer here!
ImageImage
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

bmcecosse, i took a oil filter housing off another engine today and when i took it appart the very part that was missing from mine just came away on top of the filter cartridge, it definately looks like it was never made to come off but the plate just sits on a very thin shoulder, anyone not use to the problem could easily throw it away as part of the cartridge, i have ordered the spin on conversion from ESM but this will work till i get it put on,rob
the plate just lifted off
here it is just resting in place, we gave it a good clean up before putting it on the car

katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Another nice feature of having the spin-on filter is that you can fill the canister w/oil before installing it.
Talk slow, think fast!