Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
67-2door
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Oil filter housing query

Post by 67-2door »

Hi.
I know it's the opposite of what most people do, but my Morris came fitted with spin on oil filter conversion and I want to convert it back to the original replaceable element type.
I've got an original housing etc but I believe the mounting studs to the engine are a different length. Can anyone tell me what thread & length they are so I can get a couple, or alternatively does anyone who's converted to spin on have their original studs that they'd be prepared to part with?
Thanks.
Neil.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Oil filter housing query

Post by philthehill »

The studs are 3/8" x 16TPI UNC where they screw into the block and 3/8" UNF at the other end for the securing nuts/spring washers.
The length required can be determined by measuring the depth of the holes through the filter head.
I have looked in my gash box and I have found two studs that may suit. They are of an overall length of 65mm though the actual studs that you require may be longer.
If they are suitable please PM me.
If you cannot find the correct studs cut down a pair of surplus cylinder head studs as they have the same diameter and combination of threads.
Phil

67-2door
Minor Fan

Post by 67-2door »

Hi Phil.
Thanks for that, I've just measured the depth of my oil filter mounting though and it's 74mm deep so allowing for the width of the nut/washer and the bit that screws into the block I'm guessing they should be about 100mm long?

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

In that case 100mm is the same length as the shorter cylinder head stud (Pt No: CAM151 (MOSS)) on the 'A' series engine - so you can use without cutting or threading, a straight job. :D
Phil

67-2door
Minor Fan

Post by 67-2door »

Ok thanks. I'll see about ordering a couple of those.
Cheers.
Neil.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Neil
I have sent you a PM.
Phil