Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Fuel pump

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

Been trying to get my 57 convertible running in time to get it to the national, but unfortunately I'm struggling to get the fuel pump to work, originally the points would not go at all so I've put a new set of points on and now the pump issues one click as the ignition is switched on and then nothing until the ignition is switched off, when it issues another single click. Switching the ignition on and off gives the same result every time regardless of how fast the ignition is switched on/off etc. I've tried doing this with the fuel pump lines disconnected and with the cap off and I get the same result every time, any ideas what's up?
Regards
Chris

mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Fuel pump

Post by mogbob »

Chris
When you installed the new points did you "clean " the protective coating off the points and set the gaps on the points operation ?
Was the "Throw over " operating correctly when you pushed the diaphragm manually up and down ?
Did you also check / clean the filter in the base of the pump whilst you were there ?
Bob
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

It sounds as though you have not screwed the diaphragm rod in the correct distance, so the throw-over is not operating. Power on, coil energised and rod moves, but stops until power off. It needs to be able to move in and out and self-switch.
moggalot
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by moggalot »

The SU recommended procedure is to screw the diaphragm into the thread in the points until the 'throw-over' is no longer possible with your thumb on the bottom of the diaphragm. THEN, UNSCREW the diaphragm two thirds of a revolution (ie 4 out of the 6 holes). The throw over should then operate correctly. If the diaphragm still feels a bit stiff, unscrew it by another 'hole'. Alternatively, buy a reconditioned pump from Bryan Gostling!

DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

Thanks for the replies, I shall have a look tomorrow, When I fitted the new points I was careful to count the number of rotations as I unscrewed the old points off in order to hopefully not cause an issue, but It maybe that my counting wasn't accurate :roll: I'll check and report back tomorrow, cheers
Chris