Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: not starting

Post by Stourbridge_moggy »

No nothing. The lights and bright and can hear the ticking when I try to turn over. I read somewhere that a look ignition light switch caused the problem. Do you think this might be the case?
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

Jusr changex the ignition bulb that now works but still nothing. I found this loose wire but for the life of me dont know where it goes. (EDIT: I think this is the wire if I wanted a second horn?)

I've gone around cleaning all the connections

I'm really confused as to why it won't start. Yesterday I went out with a flat battery after being push started. When I got back my battery was well charged. Left it, came back to it an hour later. Started again, fine.

Go to start this morning and again nothing. I'd have thought it was the starter motor but it started yesterday, and the dynamo must work to charge a dead battery.

Who needs the Time crossword when you have this!

[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

But did you disconnect the battery after yesterday's run -as advised earlier? And if you press the solenoid - does it turn over?
ImageImage
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

Yes disconnected.

Solenoid is below, right? If so no nothing.

What I did just notice is the fuel pump seems to be ticking[frame]Image[/frame]
moggalot
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by moggalot »

If nothing happens when you push the 'solenoid' switch under the bonnet - how about a jammed starter pinion?

Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

moggalot wrote:If nothing happens when you push the 'solenoid' switch under the bonnet - how about a jammed starter pinion?
If it was, how would I unjam it?

Also, It did start an hour or so after taking it for a drive the other night
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

ok - that's not a solenoid - just a pull start switch, and recently there has been a spate of failures. Slightly scary - but you need to bridge across the two terminals with a good big screwdriver. There will be a few sparks, but there is no danger of electrocution - and see if the starter spins over when you do this. Just make sure the handbrake is on and the lever in neutral. Report back please!
ImageImage
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

Oh. Wheres the solenoid? You meam to bridge the gap on the starter switch or solenoid? Thanks
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

The component in your photo above is a starter SWITCH*.

As suggested above, you could try bridging the connections with a large screwdriver or similar (taking precautions (out of gear, handbrake on)).

* a starter SOLENOID uses an electric coil to pull the contacts together. On the other hand, the switch uses a person-operated knob, and cable to pull the contacts together.

Regards
Don
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

Thanks Don. So do you tthink its a problem with the pull switch not making contact?
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

The button for the starter switch is in between those two terminals.
I would try that first before bridging terminals.
Use a punch or similar if the button is a little stiff, saves thumb ache!
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

chesney wrote:The button for the starter switch is in between those two terminals.
I would try that first before bridging terminals.
Use a punch or similar if the button is a little stiff, saves thumb ache!
Thanks, will give it a go tonight.

What I don't understand is after a went for a drive. I left it an hour then I started up again fine, using the pull start.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Dirty contacts getting damp/worse overnight...? Who knows ! Try pressing the pin by all means - but the real test is with the screwdriver......
ImageImage
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

bmcecosse wrote:Dirty contacts getting damp/worse overnight...? Who knows ! Try pressing the pin by all means - but the real test is with the screwdriver......
I used the screwdriver and nothing at all, all I can hear is the fuel pump
moggalot
Minor Friendly

Post by moggalot »

This seems to be drifting away from a charging problem to a starting problem (as per thread title!)
Sorry to be blunt, but could you confirm the following:
(1) Does the engine turn over when you pull the starter / depress the little button on the switch in the photo?
(2) If YES to above, does this happen every time you try it?
(3) If NO to (2) have you checked the tightness of the terminals on (a) the switch and (b) the starter motor. Also have you checked that there is an earth strap (ie a large braided cable) connecting the gearbox to the chassis? (and with good connections?)

Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

moggalot wrote:Sorry to be blunt,
Not at all, Im very grateful for help.

Nothing now happens when I pull the starter. Did once after a ride of an hour, then an hour of being left.

I removed both the terminals gave them a clean then refitted them yesterday.

I haven't checked the earth to the gearbox. EDIT: just looked at the gearbox earth and it seems strong
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

To prove once and for all if the starter pull switch is faulty, disconnect each cable connected to it,connect a multimeter set to ohms to test for continuity to the two large terminals and pull the switch, do you get a reading or not?
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

Trickydicky wrote:To prove once and for all if the starter pull switch is faulty, disconnect each cable connected to it,connect a multimeter set to ohms to test for continuity to the two large terminals and pull the switch, do you get a reading or not?
ok, thanks. will do tomorrow.

Would it be useful to go around the engine testing the same on different connections?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Since nothing happened with the screwdriver - and we are assured the earths are all good - the fault MUST lie in the starter motor. Check the connection - but likely it needs to come out for inspection.
ImageImage
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

I removed the gear box earth and cleaned it up. And got a multimeter on a few connections including the gearbox earth and get a strong reading..... saga continues.

I do believe it's the starter motor as I found a thread on here to test to starter by connecting a jump lead from the battery to the starter motor bolt and see if theres movement. Then again for the negative terminal to the starter motor body. Either way nothing, only a faint hissing sound. So it's coming out tomorrow.

Was thinking though... Wouldn't the engine start on the handle even if the starter was duff? It doesn't

Would a jammed start motor make a noise if it was trying to work or would it be silent?

I've noticed a couple of things... first, when I turn on the ignition the fuel pump constantly ticks. And then I pull the starter the oil light dims and the petrol gauge moved back to zero. And the coil is warm. Is this normal?