Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Offshore
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Whirring starter

Post by Offshore »

Hi guys. Went to a friends house this morning and she would start on the starter after a 10 mile drive and 5 minute rest. Starter just whirls and the engine doesn't turn over.

Got her bumped (forgot about the starter handle in the boot in my panic). Got to work ok and still won't start on the starter.

Starter was new a year ago and been in use ever since more or less daily. No signs of impending doom.

All ignition electrics replaced last year including battery.

Where do I start? Could the starter be loose and not engaging?

Travelling to UK next week and a check over at Charles Ware as well so any advice would be gratefully received.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Whirring starter

Post by bmcecosse »

Charles Ware ? Are you sure... :roll: Is the battery charged ? Headlights bright? Pull the starter with headlights on - do they stay bright - or go very dim? Starter/battery connections may be loose/dirty - earth strap missing. Or the starter Bendix may be dirty/contaminated with oil - take it off and clean it - but DO NOT oil it. Does it start with jump leads from another vehicle? You say it started - and then it didn't start - please explain.......
ImageImage
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Check the bolts holding the starter on, they can come loose, especially after a change as the lock washers might not have been nipped up enough, if they are tight, then its either the bendix not throwing ( see below ) or worn, or possibly the front and/or rear bearing wear in the starter motor - means energy will spin the motor but not enough to turn flywheel.
Offshore
Minor Friendly

Post by Offshore »

Bmcecosse - car started this morning in the garage as normal. Drove 10 miles to friend's house. Turned engine off and talked in the house for 5 mins or so having called to collect some stuff. Returned to car and starter will not engage.

Bumped car and drove to work. Tried starting again once parked at work - same just a whirring.

Negative lead bit loose on battery. No time to do much and wearing shirt and tie.....

Will check connections and mounting bolts tonight at home.

Staying for a few days in Bristol as tourists so Ware's is killing two birds etc. Fitting new leaf suspension as I don't have the facilities, room or tools for the job.

Then it's off to Cumbria for a few days via Lancashire. Fair trip coming up I think.

Will let you know if I fix the starter tonight. Looks like the starting handle is coming out at 5!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I've changed a head gasket at side of road wearing a business suit - battery connection is easy meat. Most likely cause! PM sent... Check the fan belt is tight enough to charge the battery - and is the red light going out?
ImageImage
Offshore
Minor Friendly

Post by Offshore »

Started tonight on the key. Grrr. Couldn't start it on the starter handle. Obviously got a bad technique! Found a snapped negative lead where it goes round the terminal so that possibly didn't help. Still don't know what was wrong but she works so we will soldier on. New negative lead tomorrow. Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated as usual.
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Found a snapped negative lead where it goes round the terminal
What terminal?
Talk slow, think fast!
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

Battery terminal (presumably)...
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

I'm psychotic not psychic.
Talk slow, think fast!