Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
surfergirl
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

electronic ignition kit

Post by surfergirl »

Hi,
I know you have probably covered this subject, but I would be interested in owners opinions that have fitted the electronic distributor kits to their cars.
Are they reliable, hard to fit, do they improve running etc?
I would be interested in fitting a complete distributor kit as the old one is possibly as old as the van (62)
Any comments + or - would love to hear.
Thanks

myminor1969
Minor Friendly

Re: electronic ignition kit

Post by myminor1969 »

I have fitted a couple of these. Engine runs alot smoother and more responsive. On the 1098cc i fitted a 45d for mini with gold coil. Once fitted and timed up they are practilcly fit and forget. You need Neg earth. if not already been changed.
Alex

Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

myminor1969 wrote:I have fitted a couple of these. Engine runs alot smoother and more responsive. On the 1098cc i fitted a 45d for mini with gold coil. Once fitted and timed up they are practilcly fit and forget. You need Neg earth. if not already been changed.
Alex
I echo this. Ignore the naysayers. Although carry a spare P&C dizzy as these things just give up if they do.
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

A 45D from Accuspark or Powerspark is the dizzy to go for. Many speak well of them. No need to change the coil - indeed I urge you to keep a good old Lucas coil if you have one ! It NEVER fails....
ImageImage
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by biomed32uk »

I run with the Accuspark, I fitted the kit to my existing 25d and she runs fine.
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I fitted a new Powerspark 45d electronic distributor in February and I haven't had any problems yet. Compared to the old distributor, starting was greatly improved, idle and general running was smoother and there was slightly more power. I suspect that the smoothness and better power were nothing to do with it being electronic but more to do with the fact that it's a brand new distributor with a working vacuum advance instead of a gummed up old one. I would definitely recommend getting one. Prior to fitting it I had three condensers fail in two months!
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Looks like everyone's getting converted then...
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I suggest spending the extra for a complete NEW dizzy (including as James says - a new vac unit) - rather than fiddling with a kit....which some have had problems with.
ImageImage
surfergirl
Minor Fan

Post by surfergirl »

Thanks for the replies so far,
most of the complete kits Ive seen seem to be the 25d distributor.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The 45D is the later/better dizzy. Here you go! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-type-45 ... 19b8642295
ImageImage
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

One of the biggest problems caused with electronics such as this, is by the use of the white heatsink pasts, which these kits are supplied with usually in a sachet.

With any electronic assembly where this is used, under a semiconductor or a module when mounted to a heatsink it is just a wipe of the stuff and not to gunge the whole lot on thinking that must be best. It has the opposite effect and actually reduces the transfer of heat. The paste is supposed to fill the minor surface imperfections in the transfer surfaces and not be ooozing out everywhere. When your training as an electronics engineer its something that you are taught, and is a common mistake made by many.

It may help when we fit these modules, the instuctions only ever say use the paste and if you don't know its fair to assume to use all that's supplied.
surfergirl
Minor Fan

Post by surfergirl »

Thanks for the link, so that will work with my old lucas coil?
With regard to the heat paste, I guess thats already in there if you buy a complete distributor and not a kit.
The only thing with the electronics is that when they bust you cant fix them on the road so you have to have a spare or wait for the AA. I like the fact you can fix a morris, so Im still in two minds!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Keep the old dizzy in the on-board (not THAT board..) spares box.
ImageImage
surfergirl
Minor Fan

Post by surfergirl »

Surely modern stuff never breaks!

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

if its any help i bought the accuspark complete dizzy and so far 15000 miles later still going
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

just get complete accuspark dizzy you wont regret it
[sig]5641[/sig]
surfergirl
Minor Fan

Post by surfergirl »

Thanks,
Did you have to do much to fit, re-timing and wot not?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just slots in then twiddle it till it starts - and then adjust for best idle - and check for 'not quite pinking' - simples !
ImageImage
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I found it a bit fiddly to fit but not too bad. It's just that the nuts are quite hard to access. Just fit the new distributor so that the rotor arm is in the same position as the old one then fit the leads in the same order.

For timing I used Roy's method. Start the engine and slowly rotate the distributor body to get the smoothest idle. Then tighten the adjuster nut and take it for a drive up a hill you're familiar with. You want the timing set so that it's almost pinking when you go up the hill. If it doesn't pink, advance the timing until it does and then back it off until it just stops. Keep driving up the same hill and adjusting the timing until you reach that point. It took me quite a few attempts but I was happy with it in the end.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

:D
ImageImage