Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

gearbox and clutch

Post by Budgie »

I am thinking of buying a gearbox for my 1969 tourer as the synchromesh has gone on third gear [it's been like this since i've owned her some 8 years ago but if i double declutch it's fine ] and very occasionally it will jump out of 1st and second but this is a rare occasion.So my question is where's the best place to buy one from and are they all on an exchange basis as this would prove awkward and costly ! Also how long and easy is it to change a clutch , just a rough guide as i want to be fo armed when i go to the garage to ask them!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Re: gearbox and clutch

Post by mike.perry »

I have always regarded synchromesh as a luxury so I would hang on to the gearbox as long as possible unless you need a clutch change. A clutch change will take as long as it takes you to drop the box and refit plus half hour to hour to remove and refit the clutch plate, depending on how many cups of tea you drink
[sig]3580[/sig]
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Contact John Evans (Hayling Island) regarding gearbox rebuild. Tel (02392-465256)
He does the gearboxes for some of the main suppliers.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

You could just buy an unknown box near you off eBay for £20-£50 to use as your exchange box.
Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Budgie »

Thanks for the replies folks , certainly some food for thought .I probably will change both gearbox and clutch at the same time and as has been said it's only one syncro gone but i'm used to it so for 8 years by double declutching on third gear . :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Most unusual for 3rd gear syncro to give problems -2nd gear takes MUCH more punishment - but of course - perhaps it has been renewed in the past...
ImageImage