Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MilitantGraham
Minor Friendly
Location: The sun drenched tropical paradise that is South Wales
MMOC Member: No

I think I've put the front wheel bearings in wrong

Post by MilitantGraham »

I changed the front wheel bearings on one side of Helen's Minor yesterday without checking the manual first.
I'm used to lorries and Land Rovers with taper roller bearings, ball bearings in the hub is new to me.
After I had fitted them I noticed there was about 2mm of play at the rim.
At this point I checked the manual and found out they are thrust bearings and have to be fitted the correct way round. :roll:
There is only a 1 in 4 chance that they are both correct.
Would fitting one or both the wrong way round give this symptom ?
Is it possible to get them and the seal out without damaging them ?
Graham [img]http://www.aecmilitant.co.uk/pictures/animated.gif[/img]
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

No Idea, but is that landrover rolling?
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Cam

Post by Cam »

I have never tried fitting them backwards but if memory serves, I *THINK* the inner and outer sections are offset from one another so quite possibly then incorrect fitment could be causing the 2mm play. I have also never tried to remove a 'good' bearing but I suppose it *MIGHT* be possible if you are VERY careful and don't slip! The seal might be difficult to get out without damaging. It all MIGHT be possible if you are very careful and take your time, or just bite the bullet and buy a new bearing and put it down to experience and a lesson learnt! :wink:
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Play at the rim is definitely wrong on standard bearings. The spacer between the inner and outer sets should be compressed. I guess that if thrust is applied to the wrong side it could lead to the bearing failing completely. As Cam says, try to change it, but even a newer bearing is cheaper than the consequences of having ot fail totally. Play safe.
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

You might be able to remove the seal without damage by carefully knocking out the inner bearing which will hopefully push the seal at the same time. Hopefully there are the cut outs machined into the hub to facilitate bearing removal.
There should be "thrust" marked on the edge of the outer races of each bearing. "Thrust" faces the distance piece in each case. ie. Each "thrust" to the centre of the hub.
Failing that the bearing identification markings are usually on the thrust side. But not guaranteed. :-?
Personally I'd get a new seal from a Minor parts supplier just in case. They should send one to you by 1st class post. Or better still a new bearing kit with seal included and start from scratch?
MilitantGraham
Minor Friendly

Post by MilitantGraham »

Thanks for the replies.
Don't worry, I wasn't going to drive it in that condition.
I bought a new bearing kit from a car spares place today just in case I can't get it all apart without damaging something. The new bearings have got "thrust" written on one side. I bet the ones I fitted on Tuesday have as well if I look.
It'll probably get left 'til the weekend now.

Matt, that's as far as it went.
Although I did roll it right over and back on its wheels another time...
MilitantGraham
Minor Friendly

Post by MilitantGraham »

Well it all came apart OK without any damage and with the same bearings back in the right way round there is now no play at the rim.