Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mal
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

petrol pump

Post by mal »

Just wondered how fast a pump should click on normal tickover speed?
Having stripped the interior and red leaded the floor yesterday, I had the engine running up to temp; while I was inside the car.. I noticed the pump seemed to be a constant steady tick, is this normal ???? I know the MG fuel pump ticks at half the speed and that's supplying twin carbs... I've had no probs and it's done a fair few miles in my ownership, just basically wondered if everyone elses seems as fast.........
thanks Mal 8)
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

It depends on temperature - it will tick slightly faster on a hot day.
I would guess once every 3 seconds upto 6 seconds would be normal.
If it ticks as fast as once a second (when engine is warm and at idle without the choke) you may have an air leak or a leaking diaphragm in the pump.
Does it contineue to tick even when the engine is off?
mal
Minor Addict

petrol pump

Post by mal »

Hi Ray,
The pump in question ticks at about 2-3 second intervals, I've heard it whilst driving but never really took a great deal of notice. It was only while I was working inside the car the other day, with the engine running and up to temp; with the choke off that I really noticed it. No.. it don't run on when the engine is stopped. I've had no bother with it and everything seems to be working perfect. I did have the MG running shortly afterwards and at normal temp; with choke in that was ticking at about 9 secs.... that's what made me queery the speed of the pump.
I am just wondering whether to invest in a new pump and carry it as a spare, what's your views on electronic or points ??
thanks Mal
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Mal on tickover I would expect a slower tick than you are getting but if its working fine.....
As for electronic against points, you can get replacement points for the pump but as they seem to last a long time anyway I dont know if one is better than the other, I am of course only talking about the genuine SU type and not the dreadful Hardi type.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Every 2-3 seconds shouldn't be enough to worry about, assuming you have normal fuel consumption. Much faster rates usually indicate an air leak (as Ray said) or a virtually empty fuel tank.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
MikeNash
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Pertrol pump

Post by MikeNash »

Just checked the Hardi pump on my standard 1098cc 1963 Traveller after a 60 mile trip. Does 13 strokes in 2 minutes ie about 1 stroke in 9 seconds. (Haven't tested it when the engine's not turning which would give the "internal leakage" back though its own valves which would subtract from its actual forward pumping.) Wouldn't expect a tick every 2-3 secs like Chris's ie 15-20 per min - mine would be doing 25 -30 mph at that rate! Gotta counter fitted you see! (Am I turning into a nerd?) Mike N.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

if it aint broke then don`t fix it
mal
Minor Addict

petrol pump

Post by mal »

The Moggy runs very well and has no probs; cruising at 70.. climbing 3-1 hills etc; can't smell petrol or see any leaks so I'm just wondering if I should leave well alone......... still baffling though why it's ticking so fast.
Think I may invest in a new one to carry as spare, what views on electronic v points ?????
thanks Mal
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Mal, you really only need to worry when the clicking noise stops - I would find something else to worry about. Most fuel pumps can be coaxed back to life if they stop so a spare will probably be a waste of money. Much better to invest in a spare service kit, fuses and a fanbelt.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
mal
Minor Addict

petrol pump

Post by mal »

Chris.... thanks for your concern, I'm not worried about the fuel pump but just wondered if it was the norm, for a Moggy pump to click that fast as the MG one is a lot slower...having said that, the pump on the MG did stop working last year and let me down on the way back from a show... a good thump and it was ok.. cleaned points and all's well....
I do keep my cars in tip top condition and don't need to invest in a service kit :lol: I replaced everything when I bought the car last year... some of the distances I go over the moors I don't tempt fate, :wink: :wink:
Mal
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

I do keep my cars in tip top condition and don't need to invest in a service kit
That comment may return to haunt you Mal! :o There's been a lot of people let down in recent years by poor quality new parts such as rotor arms, condensors, dizzy caps and coils. I wouldn't dream of doing a long distance drive without carrying each of these (mainly previously used ones which I know will work).
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
mal
Minor Addict

petrol pump

Post by mal »

I wouldn't dream of doing a long distance drive without carrying each of these (mainly previously used ones which I know will work).
Don't worry Chris :wink: every part I take off go's in the boot as spare plus extras, so I know they all work... my mates say you could build a car with what I carry..... sods law though-- one day I'll break down and not have the appropriate part with me.... :oops:

Mal [/img]
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Classy pic, Mal!
a
mal
Minor Addict

petrol pump

Post by mal »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mal
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

I like that ... :lol: :D
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
mal
Minor Addict

petrol pump

Post by mal »

This one's better Chris...if it works :lol: :lol: :lol:
mal
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Great suspension on that car mal.
Back to the subject this is the type of pump (in case you have not seen one) to avoid as quite a few of us on here have had unhappy experiences with them due to reliability problems, also note they only have a 3 month Guarentee.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 23094&rd=1
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
mal
Minor Addict

petrol pump

Post by mal »

Great suspension on that car mal.
Hydrolastic :lol: oh! that's on another post......
Looks as though everyone's not happy with modern day replacements?
Just been out in the garage sorting through boxs of old stuff and come across a three month old su pump :P I say three months old but I remember taking this off my late fathers Morris 1100 when he scrapped it back in 1972 :lol: :lol: I think I might investigate the possibility of refurbishing it as I would think all the seals etc; would be perished by now....... anyone ever done this ???
Mal