Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
queenofcats
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

NEW OWNER HAS HEATER DRAMA!!!!!!!!!

Post by queenofcats »

BOUGHT MY FIRST MOGGIE YESTERDAY, SHES BEAUTIFUL, HOWEVER IS THE HEATER SUPPOSED TO WORK??!

ITS A STRANGE BOX THING WITH A SORT OF LEVER YOU PULL IN AND OUT AND IT BLOWS COLD AIR EVERYWHERE. ALSO THERE IS A PULL THING THAT LOOKS LIKE THE CHOKE WITH HEATER WRITTEN ON IT....

HOW DO I WORK THE THING?

PLEASE HELP IM VERY COLD :o
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Officially if you push the choke style heater knob all the way in that should be on heat then. then set the heater controls inside as you require IE screen, frozen feet etc. If this doesn't work I'd make sure there isn't an air lock stopping the warming water getting into the matrix.

Lee
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

If it's a later Minor (1965 on?) then you have to push the heater thingy in (I think - I last did that in September). You might have more luck if you pull it in & out a few times to free up the heater valve (which is at the back of the engine at the top). There should be a fair degree of resistance when you move it. If that doesn't work come back to us and we'll discuss other cures.

It always good to hear from new owners - let us know more about your car and where it is.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

IS THE HEATER SUPPOSED TO WORK??!
Sort of usually makes a lot of fan noise with a little blow its operated by a flick switch (single position) on the facia of the heater where the lever control is.
ALSO THERE IS A PULL THING THAT LOOKS LIKE THE CHOKE WITH HEATER WRITTEN ON IT....
Trying to remember which way round it is but it will say pull for off or push for on or the reverse, its on the knob, and operates a valve at the back of the engine providing its not jammed, have a look at the valve while someone moves the knob.
To make the car warmer at this time of year disconnect the fresh air pipe at the drivers side of the heater, its 4" in diameter and held in place with a large jubilee clip, and then plug the pipe with an old sock or similar and this will reduce the cold air flow coming into the car.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Kevin wrote:the fresh air pipe at the drivers side of the heater, its 4" in diameter.........plug the pipe with an old sock
:o I'm trying to imagine the size of your feet Kevin :lol:

Lee
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Officially if you push the choke style heater knob all the way in that should be on heat then
If it works then you are lucky, as the cable has a tendency to sieze due ot lack of use. There is a valve at the back of the head on the engine - the cable pushes a short metal linkage which moves the valve, so if you can't get the cable to work, then as a temporary fix, just undo the cable and move the valve by hand.

The fresh air inlet allows far too much fresh air in for this time of year so you need to block the front end (a couple of scrunched up carrier bags is a good way). and you need to remove the other end from the heater otherwise the heater will be strangulated.
When running this way the heater only circulates the interior air so you stand some chance of warming up the car.

If for some reason the engine thermostat is stuck open you won't get decent heat from the heater anyway, but worry about that later.
Finally it is also possible for the water pump blades to corrode away if the previous owner had been running without antifreeze (antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors). The dodgy waterpump can be tough to diagnose, as it gives some flow but not enough to get the heater to work!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

IS THE HEATER SUPPOSED TO WORK??!
Yes it's supposed to, but it's not known for it's heating abilities! In other words 'you're not alone'
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

Locate the two pipes (approx. 20mm diameter) that pass through the bulkhead near the fuse box/voltage regulator - one above the other. With the engine cooling water at normal running temp., and the engine running, feel each pipe to see if it's the same temp. as engine rubber hoses (beware the cooling fan!). If not, operate the heater water valve, previously mentioned, until the pipe connected to it warms up. If the pipes are hot then water is flowing through the heater. If cold then it's not. If one is hot and the other only warm then it's possible the heater matrix is full of crud but if that were the case you would probably get a reduced heat output. If both remain cold then there's possibly either an air lock or the water valve is defective.
To remove an airlock the return hose has to be removed, at the rear of the cylinder cover, with the engine running, and replaced quickly onto the pipe as soon as water appears. The return pipe is fixed to the cyl. cover either by the manifold nuts or cyl. cover nuts and connects to a stub piece on the bottom hose.
Or either push or pull the "heater" knob to the position it's not in at the moment. :wink: At the same time have someone look under the bonnet at the valve lever to check it's moving.
queenofcats
Minor Friendly

HEATER DRAMA CONTINUES!!!!!!!!

Post by queenofcats »

thank you all for your tips,..such a good time of year to be driving without heat!!

Well ive taken the moggie (Annie) to a friendly enthusiast who is looking at the heater as I type. Annie is a minor 1000, 1968, dark red and very pretty.

Ive taken to wearing a duvet and matching teacosy on my jaunts to work! such class and style me thinks

:lol:
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Annie is a minor 1000, 1968, dark red and very pretty.
Sounds liks Maroon B to me
Make sure the duvet doesnt clash with the paintwork you dont want to look silly....................
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
MrA.Series
Minor Fan
Location: Cambridge in term, otherwise Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Post by MrA.Series »

:lol: at Kev
Boris: 1968 2-Door Saloon
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/76758/Morris%20Minor/BorisThumbnail.JPG[/img]
(In background is Pixie: 1968 2-Door Saloon)