Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Ectoplasm in fuel!

Post by BLOWNMM »

Hi Guys
Have attached a link re TEL. It states it is a clear viscous fluid. If this is true then the red gunk should not be TEL. The link is an extract from Wikipedia.
Cheers Bob

Synthesis and properties
TEL is produced by reacting chloroethane with a sodium–lead alloy.[7]
4 NaPb + 4 CH3CH2Cl → (CH3CH2)4Pb + 4 NaCl + 3 Pb
The product is recovered by steam distillation, leaving a sludge of lead and sodium chloride. TEL is a viscous colorless liquid. Because TEL is charge neutral and contains an exterior of alkyl groups, it is highly lipophilic and soluble in petrol (gasoline).
Despite decades of research, no reactions were found to improve upon this rather difficult process that involves metallic sodium and converts only 25% of the lead to TEL. A related compound, tetramethyllead, was commercially produced by a different electrolytic reaction.[7] A process with lithium was developed, but never put into practice.
Reactions
john newton
Minor Friendly

Post by john newton »

found this stuff in long term stored diesel. wonder if diesel engine fuel filter would sort probs? john newton.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

TEL. It states it is a clear viscous fluid. If this is true then the red gunk should not be TEL
It may be clear when made in a lab, I expect at some time a previous owner used Redex upper cylinder lube in this car and the red colour is from its residue in the tank.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

john newton wrote:found this stuff in long term stored diesel. wonder if diesel engine fuel filter would sort probs? john newton.
Was it red diesel by any chance? Whatever the 'gunk' is, it won't be tetra ethyl lead if you've found it in diesel, as it wasn't added to that!
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

bmcecosse wrote:Sorry - but you are wrong - it's very standard procedure to add Meths to remove loose water from the fuel. There are limits of course - and it's not suggested as an every day procedure - just a 'one off' treatment. And it is well known that condensation on the roof the tank (due to breathing in moist air) - is the major source of water in the fuel. It also explains why the roof the tank tends to rust out in pin holes.... I object strongly to your 'list of bad ideas' comment - no need to get personal on the forum. I actually sometimes see some strange ideas coming from you! :lol: :oops:
No, sorry but you are wrong on this!!! As an everyday proceedure adding meths will not remove water from fuel.

The only way to avoid water in fuel these days is to use super unleaded.

And as for the bad ideas, I won't comment on specifics here, except to say that I strongly object to bad advice and will continue to correct poor advice whenever I see it being posted on the internet or indeed on this forum. We are supposed to be helping people keep their Minors running well.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

It depends on what one sees as bad advice, one may consider recommending silicone brake fluid as bad advice, whereas others may disagree. Some things are a matter of personal opinion, not necessarily bad advise.

amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

There is a world of difference between fact and well intentioned advice. I always take advice and then weigh it up with fact then make my own mind up as to the solution. Silicon brake fluid has advantages over dot fluid but also disadvantages. I have yet to hear of any brake failure due to silicon and you would be surprised how many Minors are running with it :D . The water/petrol debate is the same. Ethanol does not add water to the petrol, it attracts it, a bit like salt. Ethanol is alcohol based, petrol is petroleum based. Simple test. Take a glass of petrol and a glass of alcohol, now add a small amount of water and stir. Does it mix. Yes for the alcohol but no for the petrol. I do it in Whisky all the time. Ethanol is alcohol and is in the petrol and they do mix together. Now if you add water to the tank the ethanol will absorb the water but petrol will not. As the ethanol absorbs the water it will get heavier than the petrol and so settle to the bottom of the tank you then start to get the mix going through the system causing running problems. A fresh tank of fuel will take a couple of months to get to this stage and it depends on how much water can get into the tank. Make your own mind up as to how this happens. This might answer why some people are having fuel related problems. At the moment unleaded has 5% ethanol added to it and super unleaded none but sometime in the future the unleaded is being increased to 10% and super unleaded will have 5% added all in the name of reduced emissions.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The idea of adding meths is to remove water from fuel that is known (or suspected) of having some water contamination. It's not for 'everyday' use - and yes as above - the fuel would then need to be burned through the engine to remove the meths which is holding the water. Obviously - there are limits to how much water can be removed like this without causing misfiring...but it's much better than getting a dollop of water drawn through into the carb, although the SU will deal with that without too much trouble as long as the engine is running at the time - unless the water freezes of course!
ImageImage