Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
David53
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Core Plugs

Post by David53 »

Two of my core plugs have suddenly begun to leak. Any clues on replacing them? From memory you hit one side to swing them around then pull them out with pliers.

I've been told brass ones are preferred - does anyone know where to get these? ESM have only mild steel ones. And they are in a set of four - I'm presuming the fourth one is at the back of the block?[frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]8913[/sig]

David
Sydney, Australia
1953 Ser II Empire Green
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Core Plugs

Post by philthehill »

David
I have not come across brass core / Welch plugs for a long time. The steel ones are more than adequate.
To remove drill a 3/8" hole in the centre of the core plug, inset a tapered punch and then knock the punch to the side which should twist the core plug out.
Clean up the aperture, smear a little sealant round the aperture, place the core plug in the aperture and then give a good smack to the centre of the core plug to flatten and secure the core plug.
I would suggest that if one is leaking the rest are not far behind so my recommendation is to do the exposed ones; and when you next get the engine out do the ones located behind the rear engine plate.
Those behind the rear engine plate even if leaking are less of a worry as the the coolant is restrained by the rear engine plate and gasket.
Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I've been reluctant to drill into these plugs because of swarf, admittedly low risk. A sharpened screwdriver is an option, and a sharp blow with a hammer.

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

As there is already a hole they will be paper thin. Poke a screwdriver or punch into the hole and pry it out.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Phil,
Here is a link to where you can get the brass core plugs.
http://www.coreplugs.co.uk/index.php?ro ... ry&path=75

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

[quote="David53"]Two of my core plugs have suddenly begun to leak. Any clues on replacing them? From memory you hit one side to swing them around then pull them out with pliers.

That is the method for the cupped core plugs as on a 1275 (Midget).
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Be careful when knocking anything into and around the edge of the core plug as there is a lip behind the core plug and it is easy to break it off if too heavy handed.
With the 1275cc core plug there is no lip on the inner side of the block/core plug so you have to be very careful when knocking a 1275cc core plug out as it is very easy to knock the core plug into the block and it can be a devil to extract it.
Related to the core plugs in the rear of the block:-
I have a rear engine plate which was removed from a 1275cc Midget engine - it has had two holes (smaller than the core plug OD) drilled in it (directly opposite the core plugs) - so that any failure of the rear core plugs will be identified as coolant exiting out of the jiggle pin hole in the bottom of the gearbox bell housing.
I am not sure I would have done that but that is one of the rear engine plates I have and they are too expensive even S/H to discard.
Phil