Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JustinMinor1000
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Rear springs ...

Post by JustinMinor1000 »

Mot man has failed Mirium on the rear rear (if you understandwhat I mean) suspension bushes ..

I'm very worried about the best way to disconnect the suspension .. does anyone have any tips ?
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Only got experiance of the LCV ones, but that suggests a spanner, a hammer, a drift, an angle grinder and a set of new bolts to replace the one's you'll wreck getting them free. Not a joke BTW - see Pyoor_kate's video of the job at pyoor.org :)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Soak it all in penetrating oil for a day or two beforehand. Be glad it's the rear bushes - the front ones are much more difficult to change.
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Take your time, soak as suggested and use good fitting spanners, sometimes these bits get rusted up but wrecking things is not always the outcome.
JustinMinor1000
Minor Fan

Whats a good safe way To "let them go" The "plan" was to jack the car up and then put stands under the body and a jack under the spring (at the back if you see what I mean) then unbolt/anglegrind then drift the pins and lower the suspension on the jack and then put int he new bushes and raise it back up on the jack. Workshop manual gives no real info .. on the method ...
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

That would be your easiest way Justin, just use a good block of wood to stop the spring slipping off the jack as your working and try not to put to much pressure on with the jack and when you grind/come to take the bolt out any tension will cause it to jump and again maybe drop from the jack.

Lee
Cam

Post by Cam »

Justin, I would not grind the rear bolts off, but try to remove them with a sturdy socket. It's much easier to just shear the nuts off. Especially if you want to keep the shackles......
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

I'm very worried about the best way to disconnect the suspension
Don't be, this is an easy job compared to spring removal. I had to replace the o/s rear rubber bushes recently and managed to undo both nuts on the outer side without shearing them. As I had already bought new pins and shackles I was able to drift out both the old pins by about 1 cm with a mallet (which is not possible if you grind the nuts off). Then I prised off the shackle & pins on the other side using a large screwdriver.

The whole thing (including re-fitting) only took about 30-40 minutes. I had the rear axle on stands and took the o/s rear wheel off to get space to work. Simply undo the nuts and the spring end will drop by an inch or two. For re-assembly, use a jack to flatten the spring as necessary to line up the shackles.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes -easy job - support the car forward of the springs with the axle hanging - and then control the axle with a trolley jack under the diff.
Not to steal the thread- but has anyone used polyurethane bushes in the rear spring shackles - does it make a huge difference ?
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

We fit 'Superflex' poly bushes in place of all rubber ones. Although not cheap they are by far the best on the market. The difference is not huge, but maybe more apparent on an otherwise standard set up. If you have modified the suspension the difference is less obvious but compliments a firmer more controlled system. The main gain is to be had in longevity, they will outlast the rubber originals. as they do not perish and are self lubricating. Always fit both rubber and poly bushes using white grease, this will make assembly and subsequent disassembly easier. Remember do not tighten the shackle bolts fully with the car jacked up, do them hand tight, lower the car to the ground then tighten them up making sure that you do not crush the bushes. A tip on removing the shackle pins is not to drift or hammer them out, as the rubber will only grip the pins, use a block of wood against the chassis leg and lever them out. :wink: :D

JustinMinor1000
Minor Fan

bmcecosse wrote:Not to steal the thread- but has anyone used polyurethane bushes in the rear spring shackles - does it make a huge difference ?
I haddn't considered NOT useing poly bushes .. "Easy job" it may be but I really don't want to do it again in my lifetime ..
picky
Minor Addict

Post by picky »

Im wondering if my rear springs are worn out.. I get a loud clunking noise from the rear when going over small bumps.. and speed bumps are just not funny!! ive got a gap of about an inch between the rear bump stops and the car body... Im assuming the bump stops are hitting the body?? replacing the springs is going to be a real hassle I suspect...
1969 Four door Saloon Old English White 1275 with ported head and HS4 carb. Wolseley 1500 front brakes. Currently off the road with a leaky master cylinder!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Dont forget to check the rear shockers as they are not that long lived and check that the link arm has not broken.

Johnathon can you be more specific about the white grease what actually is it for and who makes it.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Some website I just found wrote:It features high levels of lubricity, corrosion protection, water and heat resistance. Works equally well in both high and low temperatures, and all types off weather
http://www.carwashwarehouse.com/TEC99204.php if you wanted the link

Lee
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

I just used a smear of washing up liquid to lubricate the polyurethane bushes I fitted and they certainly locate the rear end of the spring well. I used a bit of wood with the mallett to drift out the pins, but there was little resistance as the rubber bushes were shot. I wasn't too worried as all the components were to be replaced.

Picky, the clunking you hear is probably due to to the curved top of the spring (at the rear) hitting the bottom flange of the inner wing - by clunking I take it you mean it sounds like metal to metal? That might be because the worn out bushes don't hold the pins in place. However a knackered damper will mean the bumpstop hitting, which I would assume to be a dull thudding noise (rubber to metal).
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello all,

have I missed it?, I see reference to rear shackles, but what about the front, which can be much more difficult to release than the rear. I would not consider changing rear bushes without also doing the front ones. As these are a special bolt care is required not to damage it or else have new ones to hand.

Alec
Cam

Post by Cam »

Well I have fitted the 'Superflex' bushes all round and am really pleased with the result. I would recommend it for those who want longer lasting bushes and 'tighter' suspension.
MrA.Series
Minor Fan
Location: Cambridge in term, otherwise Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Post by MrA.Series »

Where do you get Superflex bushes from? How much for a set of 12 for the rear? All I can find is generic 'Poly-Bushes' which are usually found to be worse than the original rubbers.
Boris: 1968 2-Door Saloon
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/76758/Morris%20Minor/BorisThumbnail.JPG[/img]
(In background is Pixie: 1968 2-Door Saloon)
Cam

Post by Cam »

I got mine from JLH. Can't remember how much though. I also got the rear spring to axle rubbers in Superflex too! I suggest you PM Jonathon for current prices as traders aren't allowed to push their products on here! :wink:
MrA.Series
Minor Fan
Location: Cambridge in term, otherwise Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Post by MrA.Series »

Cam wrote:I also got the rear spring to axle rubbers in Superflex too!

Wow! That's quite an idea, But I thought rubber pads would help them seat better? :-? Cheers for the point in the right dirrection.
Boris: 1968 2-Door Saloon
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/76758/Morris%20Minor/BorisThumbnail.JPG[/img]
(In background is Pixie: 1968 2-Door Saloon)