Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Replacement for asbestos under floor

Post by RobThomas »

Does anyone have any good ideas what could be used for the heat shield under a Minor floor? Obviously I won't be using the original asbestos stuff!! It looks to be about 6mm thick, possibly more. Any smart ideas welcomed.

Ta

Rob
Cardiff, UK
M25VAN
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Replacement for asbestos under floor

Post by M25VAN »

New heat shields come with a replacement pad, don't know if they are available separately. You could try something like a brazing/solder mat similar to what plumbers use or just leave it out all together as it is a bit of a water trap.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

I would positively not fit a heat shield under the floor - it's just somewhere for water to collect and rot out the floor. Just imagine, wet, warm, bit of salt occasionally - what more could a corrosion process want in life??

Some good sound insulation mat under the carpet makes a huge difference to noise, and acts as an effective heat barrier at the same time.
Richard

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Thanks, guys.
The Lowlight heat shield is bigger than the M1000 one so I'd still need to make something up. Since the holes are drilled in the floor I'd like to at least have something there, even if it is a sheet of plastic under the metal cover. I've got a plastic chopping board here somewhere. Maybe that'll do. Hmmm.
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Even if you put a sheet of plastic under the floor as replacement for the insulation you will still find that the wet and crud will get between the plastic sheet and the floor and corrosion will happen.
Just ditch the insulation to keep the rust at bay.
The only way that the insulation will be effective without rusting the floor is to fit 1" spacers between the plastic sheet and the floor. At least with that 1" gap you will be able to get the hose in there and wash any crud away and the air flow will keep the gap dry.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Don't bother replacing it. Presumably you do not have a heater so it may help to stop your passenger's feet from freezing :-?
[sig]3580[/sig]
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Rob

You can get supalux board from your local plumbers

Taupe
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Anything that holds moisture against the floor is to be avoided.....
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

absolutely don't do it ,,on my 55 split screen(Now sold) the floor pan was as original,no rust and still had the original red paint from the factory,had been well treated over the years with old engine oil and waxoil. But the only spot that had to be repaired was a couple of 50p sized holes, UNDER the heat shield.The shield was taken off and left off 10 years ago. I would say that anyone still having the heat shield should consider taking it off.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

So, plan A at the mo is to return the steel plate to the underside of the floor as per the original and to then line the inside with an aluminised GRP sheet that get siliconed to the upper face of the plate. It is only something like 2mm thick so will not touch the bodywork. Good compromise. It is the same stuff I had to use to protect the underside of the wooden aeroplane when I made a 4-1 exhaust for it. Hopefully enough was left over!
The car will be quite low and the silencer going on it will have to sit very close to the bottom of the floor, hence the risk of cooking the carpet.

Thanks, all.

Rob
Incidentally, it can be made by smearing red silicone fire sealant over a waxed glass sheet and then laying the ali mat down and sandwiching another glass sheet on top. The silicone squeegies into the GRP strands and comes out with an aluminised 250 degrees prrof sheet that can be moulded into shape. This shot shows some of it above the manifold (ignoring the wrap round the Lambda sensor that was just there to keep heat in whilst the engine ran without a cowling.)
Cardiff, UK
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's still going to help rot the floor...... :roll: But it seems you can't be told!
ImageImage
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Fortunately, I don't value your opinion. You aren't here to TELL me what to do. What is the point in wasting bandwidth on you? 50 thousand posts, mostly one-line criticisms, so I guess you don't actually have time to DO much with cars.

I still remember that bitter, bile infested message you sent to me years ago listing the site members who "needed to be taken down a peg or two". Irony seems lost on you.
Cardiff, UK
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

oh dear,come on ,you are only getting friendly advice,from owners who have vast experience of the little faults and quirks that moggies have. Don't think anyone is actually saying that you MUST do anything,its your car do as you wish.But be careful with how you reply,you may find the mods will kick you off the forum, some have been for milder comments :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

RT - I'm sure you are mixing me up with someone else ! As far as I know I have never 'messaged' you and certainly not anything 'bile infested' or suggesting that anyone should be taken down a peg.... Not a phrase I would use - and I only usually answer PM questions (of which I receive quite a few) - folks asking for advice . But good luck with that rusting floor! Several knowledgeable and sensible people have suggested what you should do... Oh and you are now on my 'naughty step' - so fortunately I won't need to see how you get on with it! :roll: :lol: Oddly enough - people who end up on my step tend to disappear off the forum - none of them are regulars these days........perhaps they miss the cheery banter!
Last edited by bmcecosse on Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Oh dear... :(
hdavy
Minor Fan

Post by hdavy »

I appreciate advice from everybody with bile or not
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

:lol: There won't be any 'bile' from me - but maybe sometimes an answer that the recipient doesn't really want to hear...
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You must have a long staircase Roy! Unless you put them all on the one step ! :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well actually - most of them have 'disappeared' off the forum - so the few that remain can share the one step and squabble among themselves! :wink:
ImageImage