Engine noise (video with audio included)

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GeordieDave
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Engine noise (video with audio included)

Post by GeordieDave »

If my oil pump was worn, would I still get good oil pressure until the engine warms up?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes. The problems arise when the oil thins out as it heats up.
ImageImage
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

bmcecosse wrote:Yes. The problems arise when the oil thins out as it heats up.
I see.

I'm taking the engine to Quasar Engineering in Stockport for a strip down and diagnosis. They've told me it would be short sighted to leave the old oil pump in, if I'm taking the engine out anyway, as they're so cheap to buy. They'll tell me what's wrong and give me prices for fixing it. I called into their workshop and they showed me a side valve engine they have to do, along with a V12 from an Aston Martin :evil:

Why don't I need an unleaded head?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Because it's really really not necessary - unless you plan to regularly thrash the car on the Mway. But by all means get one if you wish ! Better spending the money on the rotating parts. I got the impression you were trying to sort the problem 'on a budget' - hence the suggestion to buy an oil pump, but not to worry about an unleaded head.
ImageImage
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

I normally start with good intentions about the budget but that usually goes out the window quickly :oops:

From what's been said, I should expect new oil pump, bearings and a reground crank. Lets see what prices I get back for the essentials and I'll decide on the extras then.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

May as well do the timing chain while in there. It seems to be less expensive these days (and much longer lasting) to fit a duplex chain set - just need to countersink the two wee holes at he bottom of the front plate to take the countersunk screws.
ImageImage
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

Stripped and inspected. Apparently my engine has been eating itself from the inside out. Something to do with low oil pressure. A bolt out of the blue!

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The low oil pressure has been mentioned to you for a while.....but look at the filter - are the plate and spring present and correct? The damage could be the result of unfiltered oil circulating.
ImageImage
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

bmcecosse wrote:The low oil pressure has been mentioned to you for a while.....but look at the filter - are the plate and spring present and correct? The damage could be the result of unfiltered oil circulating.
That would be this part then? If I'm passing by the engineer's workshop, I'll call in and take a look[frame]Image[/frame]
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

bmcecosse wrote:The low oil pressure has been mentioned to you for a while.....but look at the filter - are the plate and spring present and correct? The damage could be the result of unfiltered oil circulating.
My engine has a spin on oil filter, if that makes a difference?[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The circled item is the gauze pick-up in the sump - so that should be fine, obviously needs to be cleaned before refitting. The spin on filter should be fine then - no plate/spring to lose ! A worth while conversion just for that very reason. The wear on the rocker shaft is not unusual on a high miles engine - very often the rockers themselves will still be fine, and just a new shaft required. So don't be talked into rebushing the rockers until you try them on a new shaft - or indeed - just try them now on an unworn section of that shaft. Be sure to include a new oil pump in the rebuild!
ImageImage
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

They're reusing the rockers but the shaft is being replaced. Here's the job card.... front

[frame]Image[/frame]
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

And back....[frame]Image[/frame]
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

I'm trying to find out if it is the original engine.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

"Burnt (sic) like a Paris Bomber" - oh dear - :lol: Looks like they have a good grip of it. But what's the 'dodgy' duplex conversion ?? has the chain been rubbing on the screw heads - maybe not countersunk ?
ImageImage
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

bmcecosse wrote: what's the 'dodgy' duplex conversion ?? has the chain been rubbing on the screw heads - maybe not countersunk ?
Not sure why it was described as dodgy. That was one of my questions too but the bloke who stripped the engine wasn't in when I visited, so I couldn't get an answer.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Maybe he just doesn't know that a duplex conversion is possible and sees it as 'non standard'- otherwise it's a good report of what's there - although possibly not the news you wanted to see.... :cry:
ImageImage
GeordieDave
Minor Fan

Post by GeordieDave »

GeordieDave wrote:I'm trying to find out if it is the original engine.
I've just had an email from BMIHT Archive confirming that the engine is the original that was fitted to the car from new :D