Wiper motor

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mike.alford
MMOC Member: No

Wiper motor

Post by mike.alford »

Hi, I have a 1961 minor and I think it has the wrong wiper motor fitted, it appears to have the DR3 fitted with the lug on the end of the gearbox, I think it should have the DR2 with no lug. Does anyone know if the motors are swappable or does the whole assembly have to be swapped?
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Re: Wiper motor

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

not sure what you mean by a "lug on the end of the gearbox" but it may well be possible to swap over the gearwheel, it is the gear wheel that controls the sweep of the wipers so you could have the correct sweep, the connection between the wiper motor and rack is the same between lots of lucas wiper motors and there is enough play in the rack to allow it to be moved. so it is possible to swap the motors over provided you swap the wheel and keep the correct sweep.

I do not know which motor should be used DR2 or DR3 but if you want to swap it back you do not need to get one from a morris minor as you can simply swap the gearwheel between your existing wiper motor and the new one. If you buy a brand new motor be aware these come without the wheels.
this is the gearwheel i am talking about by the way..[frame]Image[/frame]
mike.alford

Post by mike.alford »

Thanks Charlie, apologies for the late response, I have been abroad for a while. The DR2 motor has a flat end to the gearbox and the DR3A has a small extension lug, can you tell me if the linkage cable is the same fitting to both motors? The linkage mechanism would need to be brought forward about 15 to 20mm to reach the shorter motor. Thanks Mike
mike.alford

Post by mike.alford »

Hello again Charlie, pictures attached of the two motors[frame]Image[/frame]
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

the connections on the rack ends into the motor are the same across all the lucas motors i have ever come across and there is enough slack in the rack to allow it to be moved a few cm's so to answer your question yes it is possible that someone has swapped over the wiper boxes (but retained the wheel) at some point in the life of your car.

As i said in my previous post i do not know which one you should have.
mike.alford

Post by mike.alford »

Many thanks Charlie, all clear now and I know what to do. Regards Mike