Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rreems
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Wheel Vibration

Post by rreems »

Hi when I 1st bought my minor it drove really well with no vibration even with badly worn bushes, so I have since replced all the bushes with nylon ones, new tie rod ends, new wheel bearings, one wheel needed balancing, but since doing this the steering wheel vibrates at just over 50 mph! Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks
Richard
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Wheel Vibration

Post by bmcecosse »

Swap wheels front to rear - does it still do it? And look for any odd 'bulges' in the tyres. Easy check on front wheel balance - jack up and back off the brake adjuster if the brakes are rubbing - then gently spin the wheel on the hub, and note (mark with chalk) where it stops at the bottom. Repeat a few times If it always stops at the same point - the balance is not good. Turn the wheel 90 degrees so the chalk is at say 9o'clock - now temporarily add weights at 3 o'clock until the wheel balances. Once happy- fix the weights on permanently. This is only a static balance - but is fine for a standard Minor with it's narrow wheels and relatively low speed. Now mark the wheel and stud so you will always refit the wheel on the hub in the same location. This is necessary because the brake drums (although small diameter) can be quite badly out of balance -partly because of the adjuster hole.....
ImageImage
rreems
Minor Fan

Post by rreems »

Hi sorry only just seen your reply! Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes!

Should I get the wheel alignment checked, as I've replaced all the bushes and both tie rod ends the alignment may be out, but trying to find someone to do it is a mission
Thanks
Richard
firehor5e
Minor Fan

Post by firehor5e »

Wheel alignment wont help with the vibration,but it is a good idea to have it checked after the replacement of bushes etc. i have seen lazer tracking gauges on fleabay for £70ish i am thinking maybe worth getting??
1968 2 door 1275
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You can make a very simple tracking gauge from 3 bits of Dexion - or even from timber! Yes - it would be worth checking - and also check the track rod ends are screwed on the track rods by an equal amount. But nothing to do with vibration - although the new bushes may be part of the cause - what did you use ?
ImageImage
rreems
Minor Fan

Post by rreems »

Hi I used Poly-bushes from ESM and replaced every bush on the car, front and back!

Thanks

Richard
rreems
Minor Fan

Post by rreems »

Hi
I posted the problem I had with wheel vibration, and your suggestion was to swap the front wheels for the rear, I did this and amazingly it worked!!! So chuffed no more vibration! What could cause this?

I've learnt so much from these blogs and want to thank everyone for their expertise, wisdom and experience a true brotherhood!
Thanks again Richard
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The wheels now on the rear must be out of balance slightly - it just doesn't show up there to the same degree.
ImageImage
rreems
Minor Fan

Post by rreems »

Cool thanks