Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: 3.9 diff question

Post by bmcecosse »

£200 is madness for that head - you were very very lucky. I have a 202 head that has been upgraded to 295 spec coming up for sale soon - bigger inlets/new guides and gas flowed. We'll see what that fetches.
ImageImage
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It may seem "madness" to you, but that is simply the market which is controlled by supply and demand. I'm sure you're aware that the 12G295 was originally fitted to the Mini Cooper (among others) and those cars are rare and valuable now hence the rise in value of their original components. A standard Minor head which has been altered correctly will do the same job of course but won't have the same value to somebody collecting correct parts for a Mini Cooper because is isn't a genuine 295 head with that very visible casting number. Originality is everything to the collectors and purists and such parts are becoming hard to find now.

We see just the same thing in the Morris Minor market where altering a Minor saloon into a convertible can produce an identical car for practical purposes but it won't have the market value of a factory built one.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

bmcecosse wrote:£200 is madness for that head - you were very very lucky. I have a 202 head that has been upgraded to 295 spec coming up for sale soon - bigger inlets/new guides and gas flowed. We'll see what that fetches.
There are a lot of mad people out there in that case, as they do fetch that kind of money, and more, reasonably often.

If you sell your head with a fixed price on here, then I expect it will fetch around what you ask for it, as your prices are usually very reasonable. If you sell it on ebay in an auction (as I did with my head) it will fetch what it is worth to someone on the day, madness or not :wink:
67-2door
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by 67-2door »

How much do think you'll be wanting for the head Roy? I may well be interested.
Cheers.
Neil.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No idea matey - i'll need to finish it. I don't see 295s going for £200 on ebay - and anyone paying that is 'mad' in my view, it's not that great a head - nowhere near as good as 940 - but good on you for getting it!! When you see a 295 alongside a 940 you have to laugh at the tiny valve sizes. It's say a 'stage 2' head when the 940 is a 'stage 4' - the larger valve version a 'stage 5' if you think the 'stage' idea is worth anything. :roll:
ImageImage