Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
markandsuefoss
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Prop shaft grease nipple

Post by markandsuefoss »

Getting to grips with jobs on my minor following the advice you all have given. Here's the latest question. I can locate the front grease nipple on the propshaft, but I can't see one on the rear. I was expecting two or none. I this normal? - its a March '71 Traveller.

Also the steering rack should be lubricated with EP 90 right. I have found the nipple in the passenger footwell, but do you use a small grease gun for this? Sounds like a silly question, I know, but I only think of grease guns being used with grease.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Prop shaft grease nipple

Post by les »

Your prop may have a universal joint that doesn't feature a greasing point, some do some don't. Oil is recommended for the rack, some people have used grease though.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As above, some UJs are "sealed for life" with no greaseing point. For the rack, you can unscrew the nipple (don't drop it! A small socket with blue tack is a good tool) and then drip oil into the revealed hole before refitting the nipple.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Moly grease (or even normal lithium grease if you don't have moly) is far better for the rack - it doesn't run away and hide in the boots..... All later racks on other cars to the exact same design are grease lubricated... Wind the rack all the way to the right lock - fit a grease nipple (if not there) and inject a few pumps of grease, then wind full left lock and pump a few more. Job done !
ImageImage
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

In another thread, I wrote that the grease nipples in the UJs were too short for my grease gun to attach - so with good advice from forumites, I bought a pair of long grease nipples from David Manners.

I removed the old, short grease nipples, but noticed the thread is different to the new longer nipples - and the new nipples don't fit.
IMG_0283.jpg
IMG_0283.jpg (486.92 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
The old nipples seem to have a metric thread - I was able to put a 6mm nut on it, but that nut won't fit on the new nipples. I have now ordered a couple of long, 6mm thread nipples. The UJs were replaced a few years ago, I didn't think to ask about the type of nipples it came with!
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Don't some uj's have screws in place of grease nipples that need to be exchanged for greasing?
So if you have a screw in there it might not be that obvious.

Alan
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

Hi Alan,

For some reason my UJs came with short grease nipples but no screws - the silver coloured grease nipple in my photo - which are too short for the grease gun to attach to as the head of the grease gun does not fit between the gap in the prop shaft. I'm hoping my new, metric threaded long grease nipples will fit - just waiting for the postman to deliver them!

Pete