Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
hdavy
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Lower trunnions

Post by hdavy »

Can I change the lower trunnions by removing the front arm or do I have to remove both arms from the torsion bar etc etc?
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Lower trunnions

Post by simmitc »

You can leave the rear arm on the torsion bar, but need to remove the front bar in order to extract the fulcrum pin. You will also need to remove the brake back plate in order to unscrew the trunnion. Make sure that the car is properly supported and follow the procedure in the workshop manual - there are some very strong spring loads in the system which are harmless if the correct procedure is used and potentially dangerous if you do it wrong.

When removing the trunnion, check the threads on the upright, and if there is any doubt, then renew the pin as well. There's no point in just replacing the trunnion if the new one is going on a worn thread.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Lower trunnions

Post by bmcecosse »

It's rarely worth changing the lower trunnions - the king pin threads are very likely to be worn. I suggest complete new king pins would be a much safer and wiser investment - and only a little extra work - if you can swap the steering arms over of course.
ImageImage