Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bluegrass
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear wheel bearing help.

Post by bluegrass »

I'm having to replace a rear wheel bearing, and have a few queries.

1. Is red grease suitable?
2. Should i pack out the hub /bearings with grease/how much grease should i use?
3.Does the paper gasket go on dry, or should i grease/oil it?
4.Do i also need to use a gasket sealant, or is it better without?

Many thanks for any help.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Rear wheel bearing help.

Post by bmcecosse »

No grease - it's OIL lubricated from the axle. Give it a dose of EP90 on the way in. make sure you haven't been sold one of the useless 'C3' fit bearings that some places are flogging. Be sure to fit a new seal - and clear the little drip hole in the backplate before fitting the hub. Dry gasket and CERTAINLY no horrible gasket goo! Why would you - BMC didn't .... :evil: :roll:
ImageImage
bluegrass
Minor Fan

Post by bluegrass »

Many thanks for the help with that Roy, much appreciated. I'll crack on with it tomorrow.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You should have bought my complete rear hubs that were on sale last week - slip off/slip on - job done..... Sold to a good home now though. Be aware - there seem to be lots of dodgy bearings out there these days - don't buy cheap.... = nasty.
ImageImage
bluegrass
Minor Fan

Post by bluegrass »

Damn, I missed out there. I am actually looking for a couple of later rear wheel hubs with the oil seal 'groove'. I'll put a post in the wanted section. I bought the bearings from ESM, the ones they sell were on a list of 'recommended' makes somewhere on this forum, so hopefully they should be ok. The hardest part will be getting the hub off, i dont have a 'puller'. :(
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

You don't need a puller to get the hub off, just undo and pull the half shaft out then reattach it to the studs with the shaft facing out. You only need to use two studs and then in the famous words of a certain shop keeper "jer jer jiggle it a bit" and it will come off.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - should just pull off quite easily - certainly no puller required. Remember the nearside nut is a left hand thread. My hubs did have the oil grooves and O rings..... Check the bearings carefully - if they are marked 'C3' send them back!
ImageImage
bluegrass
Minor Fan

Post by bluegrass »

I replaced both rear bearings/ oil seals etc today so thanks for all the advice. I managed to get the hubs off using the 'reverse half shaft' technique described above. They were tight, but that method worked perfectly, a great tip. The bearings are made by 'FAG' , so i think they should be ok. EP90 oil helped things into place, and i found suitable sized sockets etc to push everything into place using pressure from a vice. Job done :)
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Well done you. When I did the job I used a portable vice called a hammer with sockets to suit :lol: :lol: :lol:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done - let's hope it solves the problems for you. This is where 'Wheeler Dealers' is handy to watch - although Brewer is naff in the extreme - China does come up with useful methods of undoing tight nuts/ball joints/pressing in and out bearings etc - so worth it for that alone at times....
ImageImage
PAULJ
Minor Fan

Post by PAULJ »

Sorry to hijack the post. Im going to change the wheel bearings on tne saloon this weekend an for the life of me im having trouble getting my head around the rear axle set up. Why, if the bearing is lubricated with oil from the axle is the seal behind the bearing and why does the seal lip face away from the diff ? Im missing something :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Because the oil runs into the bearing from the axle - and you don't want it running out again all over the shoes ! :roll: Why are you changing the bearing? I've NEVER had to change a rear bearing (or a front come to that) and my Minors had some pretty rough handling... Make SURE you are not using 'C3' marked bearings. And check the little drain hole in the backplate (at 6 o'clock) is clear of debris.
ImageImage
PAULJ
Minor Fan

Post by PAULJ »

bmcecosse wrote:Because the oil runs into the bearing from the axle - and you don't want it running out again all over the shoes ! :roll: Why are you changing the bearing? I've NEVER had to change a rear bearing (or a front come to that) and my Minors had some pretty rough handling... Make SURE you are not using 'C3' marked bearings. And check the little drain hole in the backplate (at 6 o'clock) is clear of debris.
Well the seals are leaking. Probably 40 years old and I have some bearings so makes sencse to change them. Sorry im missing something here. Oil in the axle passes the seal to the bearing. The oil in the bearing is prevented from leaking to the brakes by the gasket and o ring. Maybe it will become clearer when I pull it apart. The lip on a seal faces the oil but on a moggy there is oil both sides ?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

At the front - by the gasket/O ring, and at the rear by the seal ! Simples !! Sure the axle isn't overfilled - and is the breather clear ?
ImageImage
PAULJ
Minor Fan

Post by PAULJ »

bmcecosse wrote:At the front - by the gasket/O ring, and at the rear by the seal ! Simples !! Sure the axle isn't overfilled - and is the breather clear ?
I know its me, I know that they did it long enough. but thats what in not getting. You have axle oil on one side and bearing oil on the other. Whats the point of the seal. Im obviosly over thinking it !! Ill check level but they have just been picked upmfor MOT and I dont think ive topped it up in 5 years. Ill check the breather with the hubs off. May as well do the job if fo any other reason, ive not done it before :oops:
PAULJ
Minor Fan

Post by PAULJ »

CERTAINLY no horrible gasket goo! Why would you - BMC didn't .... :evil: :roll:[/quote]
Because it wasnt invented maybe. Sorry, couldnt resist
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Back to the rear hub - it's the SAME oil - it runs out from the hollow axle tube into the rear hub where it lubricates the bearing. If there was no seal - it would pour out all over the shoes ! In your case - the seal may just have gone 'hard' - or it may have worn a groove in the axle tube....or combination of both. In which case - it is wise to position the new seal slightly differently so the lip doesn't run in the groove. And do make sure the little drain hole in the backplate is clear- it's there to allow any escaping oil to leak away without contaminating the shoes. I assume you know the nearside nut is left-hand thread.

21/06/2016 19:04 moederated to comply with T&Cs. Simon
ImageImage