Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Squealing Front Brakes

Post by bmcecosse »

" Call for availability " doesn't sound too good...... Personally I would upgrade to 8" drums (or even better 9" drums !! :lol: ) rather than spend more money on the very 'average' at best 7" front drums..
ImageImage
MacQuigley
Minor Fan

Post by MacQuigley »

Couldnt agree more, so I added a set the shopping basket. The end cost with VAT and carriage was just south of £50! I think not!

Anyway its all sorted now. My mate who owns a small motor store and who got me the 8" shoes yesterday managed to get me a set of Lockheed 7" shoes today. The only thing was all he could get was rear shoes (It looks like the quality manufacturers are stopping making these) on a sale or return basis. I did explain to him that the rears would not fit due to the two adjusters but he said he was OK with me modifying them to fit if I thought I could.

Anyway after 15 minutes with a file and an extra notch in the two shoes that previously had no notch and another 15 minuted fitting them I took it out for a run and not as much as a squeal! In fact the only noise I could hear was a squeak from the brake pedal.

Comparing the shoes the only thing I could see that was different was there seemed to be about 1/4" difference in the overall length of the shoe (specifically the area where the friction material is bonded to), but thats all I could see.

Anyway they are working now so hopefully I will finally get out in her before the summer is over!

Thanks guy's, for all your assistance.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - rears can be fitted at the front. Just for interest (since it's in my area) - where is the 'motor store' ?
ImageImage
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Good result, enjoy your summer drive (without ear plugs now) :lol: :lol: :lol:

MacQuigley
Minor Fan

Post by MacQuigley »

Coatbridge. He had a second shop in Motherwell until about a year ago but closed that as it wasnt doing so well.

He doesnt keep much that we would use in stock but he is "old school" and understands and can get most things usually next day, sometimes same day.