Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MacQuigley
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Squealing Front Brakes

Post by MacQuigley »

Ive not had any time to get my 2 door out an about since getting it through its first MOT in 18 years back in April, but I finally had some time at the weekend. Unfortunately Ive a problem that I dont seem to be able to resolve. When I brake the front brakes squeal like mad. I tried backing off the adjusters a couple of clicks but thats not helping any.

Unfortunately rain stopped p;lay so I didnt have time to get the drums off to have a look inside so I dont know if there are any problems with the shoes etc. All parts are new except the drums so Im not expecting any issues

Anybody got any suggestions on how to resolve the problem?
edd_barker
Minor Fan

Re: Squealing Front Brakes

Post by edd_barker »

Not much to be suggested without knowing whats going on inside the drums!

If shoes/drums are new it's most likely everything just needs running in. Filing a chamfer on the leading edge of each shoe is the general suggested solution. Decent shoes probably already have this. Could be cheap shoes, in which case try Mintex. I would have a look inside drums, make sure there is a chamfer and that everything is clean. Also did you clean protective layer off inside of new drums? I forgot this once and it gummed everything up.

Clean it all up reassemble then off for a good old Italian tune up! (I learnt this phrase on the forum recently. Brilliant). This should bed them in nicely and stop squealing.

Edd
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Several threads now on this same subject - looks very much like crap shoes being supplied - perhaps someone can gather the information and pin it down to one supplier flogging rubbish shoes ?
ImageImage
MacQuigley
Minor Fan

Post by MacQuigley »

Thanks Edd, but "Italian tune up"!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Flog the brakes till they fade and stink - then let them cool down. Any better ??
ImageImage
MacQuigley
Minor Fan

Post by MacQuigley »

I didnt flog them yesterday but I did take it a reasonable run (what I would have thought was enough to bed them in) but the noise got worse.

The strange thing is when I first took it for its MOT they were fine. But it failed due to the rear brakes. So when I adjusted the rears I readjusted the front and thats when this awful squealing started. I didnt adjust them much, they didnt need it.

I'll get a look inside the drums sometime this week.
MacQuigley
Minor Fan

Post by MacQuigley »

Took the drums off tonight and the only thing I can see that looks a bit odd is the fact that only the leading and railing edges of the shoes (for about 1"-2") are showing any signs of ware. The surface in between hasn't contacted the drum at any point along their length.

Ive not worked with drum brakes for a bit, well not much anyway (my 110 does have drums on the rear), but I cant recall seeing that pattern before. Its almost as if the curve of the shoes doesn't match the curve of the drum.

I can have a set of Delphi shoes here by Thursday for £20. Think I'll give them a go.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

This is where the flogging and fading comes in....Either the shoes are not correct diameter - or the drums have maybe been skimmed ??? In which case - no matter what make of shoes you get, only the ends will contact until they wear down to 'fit' the drums.
ImageImage
MacQuigley
Minor Fan

Post by MacQuigley »

Because its been so long since it was running last I cant recall if I had any issues with the brakes but Ive not skimmed the drums and I dont believe the previous owner would have but it is possible.

Its a 63 I have. Just checking but Im correct to think it should 7" shoes fitted!
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

8" front and 7" rear. I don't think the fact that the shoes are only contacting in a small area until they bed in would cause the squeal. Remove the shoes and make sure the area that contact the back plate on the shoes and back plate are clean and before replacing the shoes put a small smear of grease on the contact faces (only a smear mind).

MacQuigley
Minor Fan

Post by MacQuigley »

Now Im getting confused.

According to Bull Motif (who I get my parts from) from 62 on the brakes were 8" front and back. Now Im certain my drums are all the same size. Unless I was really lucky I had no issues fitting them on either end and Im not usually that lucky - if there is a way to pick the wrong size Im the one to do it.

Im further confused because for some reason, and I cant not remember what that reason was, back in November I returned the 8" shoes I bought for the front end to Bull Motif for 7".

I need t o check my drums tonight because there is a size cast into the inside. I know its 7.XXXX but I cant recall exactly what (from memory its 7.0XXXX which may be what lead me to believe the 8" shoes were too large!).
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just use a ruler to measure the drums.....it's obvious. You could NOT fit 7" shoes to an 8" brake -or vice-versa. The drums must be worn - fade the brakes - get them really stinky and then see what happens.
ImageImage
MacQuigley
Minor Fan

Post by MacQuigley »

Just use a ruler to measure the drums.....it's obvious
Doh! Doh! Doh!
MacQuigley
Minor Fan

Post by MacQuigley »

Right, checked the brakes tonight an=gain and the front are definitely 7" despite everything saying they should be 8" on the front for a 63.

The only think I didnt refit to the car when I rebuilt it were the front brake shoe steady springs because I could not get the pins to hold them in place (FBK114).

At the time I really couldnt see what difference they would make and after looking at a lot of rebuilt brakes where they were not fitted I left them out.

Looking at the shoe ware pattern now I think that was a mistake as I think they will lift them out a bit further which should make full contact between the drum and shoe.

Does anyone know if there is anyone making these parts or if I could just use am M3 or M4 screw/nut?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Never used the bee-hive springs. That's not the problem. There is a note somewhere in the Workshop Manual about drilling a hole in the brake shoes (I think) to alleviate squealing.....
ImageImage
MacQuigley
Minor Fan

Post by MacQuigley »

I'll have a look in my copy tomorrow.

Really at a loss on this. I have tried hammering the brakes but its not making a different, they haven't bedded in any more. It really looks like the diameter of the shoes is different to the drums.

When I say they are squealing I mean they could shatter plate glass. You would need ear defenders to drive more than a 1/2 mile. Ive never heard brakes make a noise like this before.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I think time to invest a set of Mintex shoes......
ImageImage
MacQuigley
Minor Fan

Post by MacQuigley »

Agreed.But Im struggling to find Mintex 7" front shoes. ESM List Lockheed/Delphii but show Mintex as discontinued and I cant find them on Bull Motif's site at all.

I will check with a friend in the motor trade and/or extend my search to other MM parts suppliers.
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct. ... de=065.744
There are probably lots of suppliers but google gave these first..

Taupe
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

I will give a thumbs up for Mintex too, I fitted them front and back two years ago and no probs since. They even seem to brake my mog a bit better as well.