Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Phil-tq
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Exhaust replacement tips please

Post by Phil-tq »

About to replace the exhaust on a saloon. The new one is in one piece. Is there a trick to easy fitting?
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Hi Phil, when I took the one piece exhaust off Doris I found it fairly easy without damaging it. I jacked the back end up as high as it would go on the trolley jack at the centre of the axle and put axle stands under each rear X member near the jacking point, then let the troley jack down. This gave me enough clearance over the axle to let the exhaust drop down and back far enough to come out of the hole at the front the downpipe passes through, then it was just a case of twisting slightly and lifting from the middle to get the arched part of the exhaust over the now lower axle, then simply slid it out under the front of the car. In the old Haynes tradition, I am assuming, refitting is simply the same procedure in reverse :P YEAH RIGHT :lol:

Anyway, hope that helps :D

Lee
Last edited by Welung666 on Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

I'll second Lees comments. 1 piece exhausts are a right pain to fit and it is all in the twisting. I tried and failed on two attempts to get the front pipe through the gap and gave up grazed, sore and cross. Stopped for a cup of tea and twenty five chocolate rich tea biscuits - as is my usual refreshment break - and on the third attempt, in it went.
I don't know how mechanics coped in the old days. No chocolate on their rich teas - sheesh! :cry:
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Phil-tq
Minor Friendly

Post by Phil-tq »

Thanks for that, bit of a squeeze but it's there. Surprised they didn't do them in 2 bits!
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Surprised they didn't do them in 2 bits!
They did!

It's a pain they stopped - I bet if one trader reintroduced the 2 piece, we would all want them.
PaulB
Minor Friendly

Post by PaulB »

They still do.
My exhaust is Stainless Steel and came from Bull Motif in 2 parts. Easy fit, tried to fit the original 1 piece....ahhhh.
Gave up and rang Bull Motif.....
PaulB
rayofleamington

My exhaust is Stainless Steel and came from Bull Motif in 2 parts
Oh! I'll remember that if/when I've used up my spare new ones :roll:
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

You stock piling parts now then Ray? :P You'll have the trade counter open by the end of the month hopefully :lol:

just kiddin'

Glad it all went OK for you anyway Phil :D

Lee
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Tip for doing up the front clamp - is to put the trolley jack under the front pipe (all the other hangers in position, but not tight) smear of exhaust paste on the taper faces - jack it into place - fit and tighten the clamps around the joint (not TOO tight or it distorts). Then tighten up the hangers - remove the jack - and hopefully that's it sorted!!
rayofleamington

I did mine last night but didn't replace it - I was half way through removing it, but got slowed down for a few hours by having to remove the towbar bracketry (not to mention 20 minutes to get the new exhaust out of the garage roof space :roll:)
Then I spotted a clamp in the mid section and realised the existing one is a 2 piece exhaust - That explains the poor alignment in the first place. Doh!

One hour of bashing and struggling later, I managed to free up the middle joint, allowing the front section to be slightly re-aligned (thus clearing the front wheel on full lock).
Lets see what the MOT man makes of it today - I'm hoping for less than 6 fail points, but who knows....
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Dont forget Minorite in Leicestershire they have supplied 2 piece exhausts in Stainless and Mild Steel for years.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706