Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
horrace
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

brake fade!

Post by horrace »

Hi guys :o horrace failed mot on just the brakes so pretty happy. I didn't actually think they were to bad!
Anyway so ive replaced all the cylinders as they were seized. Ive bled it and tried the "leave the cap off and hold down pedal with a stick for a couple of days" and also tried to bleed with a pressure bleeder but that didn't work either.
Symptom are that it pumps up ok and goes solid but come back to it a few minutes later and it takes a few pumps to get it back up again. Could this be a master cylinder issue?

liammonty
Minor Legend

Re: brake fade!

Post by liammonty »

Just to clarify, where does brake fade come into it? Are the brakes fading as well as the issues you describe?
horrace
Minor Fan

Post by horrace »

I think I may have misdescribed! It should be pedal fade! So what I mean is the pedal loses pressure. You can pump it up and the brakes work but come to use it again 5 mins later and the pedal requires pumping up again.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Adjust up all the brakes so they gently rub on the drums. Slacken the handbrake cables first - then after adjusting the rears, re-set the cables to put the lever where you want it - usually 2 or 3 clicks till the rear wheels are equally 'locked' when you try to turn them by hand.
ImageImage
horrace
Minor Fan

Post by horrace »

It's not the handbrake it's the pedal going soft.

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

If as you describe, the pedal Needs to be pumped to get the Brakes to work, then this is a classic symtom for the Brakes not being adjusted properly. The rear Brakes are a particular culprit as they only have one adjuster and as time goes on it seems , to me anyway, particulary troublesome to get teh correct adjustment. i.e either too tight so the wheel will not turn or too loose.

The master cylinder is a bit awkward to remove for checking so as a test you may like to adjust up all the Brakes so no wheels can turn just to see if this cures the Problem. Of course, you cannot drive the car like this ( it wont move) . If it does not and you are certain there is no air in the System it can only be the master cylinder.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You MUST release the handbrake cables before adjusting the rear brakes... Your problem IS just badly adjusted brakes.
ImageImage
horrace
Minor Fan

Post by horrace »

Aaaah yes I think I connected handbrake before I adjusted. Will detach and re adjust
Thanks fellas