By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
936cbpminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Brake issues

Post by 936cbpminor »

Hi,
Some help required please.
Car has failed MOT with both the offside front and rear (also parking) brakes being about half the efficiency of the nearside. Tester (who is Minor friendly) says its a good pedal and not spongy and it certainly stops well so NOT suspecting it needs bleeding.. I haven't noticed any pull to one side. He says he thinks its down to adjustment but I would be grateful of any tips/tricks to try.
The braking system is not modified (no servo) had had new brake system a couple of years ago (master cylinder replaced a few years ago)
Parking brake similarly mismatched.
Again, any handy tips so there is only one revisit!!

Many thanks!
1961 948cc Yukon Grey 'Her In Doors'
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Brake issues

Post by oliver90owner »

I am surprised that the car does not exhibit 'pulling to one side' if the two sides have that amount of disparity.

No tricks, just simple safety checks. Adjustment, free movement of shoes, wet shoes, worn shoes/drums, etc. Clearly not a circuit hydraulic problem, so must be the mechanical aspect of the system giving rise to those results.

If it is not 'pulling', I might be checking tyre pressures or different makes/aspect ratios, but I doubt the rolling road results would indicate any problem on that score.

Parking brake may simply need proper adjusment, but it does rather appear that there is an obvious fault that should be clearly apparent on close inspection.
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

First guesses would be either sticking brake cylinders or contaminated linings, if the adjusters are all set correctly
Good home offered for custom splittie
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Nothing to do with adjustment - that just gives a long pedal. As above - seized cylinders.....or oil on the shoes. Off with the drums !
ImageImage