Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
peterscott
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Growling Traveller

Post by peterscott »

Hi. I'm new to this forum, so apologies if my question has been answered before. I have a 59 Traveller in daily use. It has a 1098 engine, but the original gearbox. Problem is, once warmed up, it growls, worst under hard acceleration. I can't tell if it's engine or gearbox noise. Hot oil pressure is 50lb/sq", and compression is good and equal across all 4 cylinders. I can rev the engine in neutral with no untoward noises, and accelerate hard in first, again with no noises other than the usual first gear whine. However, in all other gears it growls! Engine oil is clean, correct grade and level. Have just changed the gear oil for 20/50. Found that a previous owner had put gear oil in the gearbox. I have thought about trying some thicker oil in the gearbox to try and eliminate any gearbox noise, but don't know what to use. Any and all help gratefully received.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Re: Growling Traveller

Post by Nickol »

It appears from your text that you suspect the gearbox more than the engine. If however, the noise is different in first gear then if youcan find a steep hill to put the engine under load whilst in first gear, this may indicate once and for all , it is a gearbox Problem by the fact the "Growl" does not appear.

No doubt, other more experienced persons will be along soon to comment but a replacement gearbox, perhaps the ribbed Version as applies to a 1098 engine, is the only answer - unless you want to rebuild the old one yourself?
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

Thanks. I honestly don't know if it's engine or gearbox. Does sound like worn bearings though. Will try to find a steep hill, but not many of those around here--it's fairly flat!
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

It may be the back axle crown wheel and pinion!!

peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

Don't think it's from the diff. Definitely from the front/bulkhead area.
firehor5e
Minor Fan

Post by firehor5e »

Exhaust touching the body/ chassis maybe? well hopefully as an inexpensive and easy repair!
1968 2 door 1275
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Could even be the exhaust blowing at the manifold
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

Checked exhaust. All seems ok there.
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

Could it be pinking? That gives a rattle rather than a growl but would happen under load and not at idle. Maybe worth checking ignition timing to rule it out?
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

Don't think so. Have experienced pinking before and sounds nothing like this, but will have a fiddle with the timing just in case. Thanks for your input.
firehor5e
Minor Fan

Post by firehor5e »

Maybe someone on here is willing to have a look/listen and diagnose the problem for you.What area do you live?If there is a club local to you i am sure they will help.
1968 2 door 1275
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Is the air filter OK? It might sound a silly question, but the silemcer yube can fall off and then you get a very definite roar.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't put 'gear oil' in the gearbox - it rots away the brass/bronze bits. As Phil says - likely to be the crownwheel/pinion and NOT the 'diff'unless it only happens on cornering? Perhaps a an oil change in the back axle would be worth trying. Otherwise pretty much all covered. Just a thought - is the engine steady bracket secure - and the engine/box mountings in good order?
ImageImage
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

I realise there shouldn't be gear oil in the gearbox. Problem is the previous owner had put this in. I changed this for 20/50 without any effect. I've since changed again for straight sae50, again with no effect. I find if I accelerate gently the "growling" is less severe, and all but disappears when I back off once up to speed. It's more noticeable under hard acceleration, other than in first gear when it's non-existent. It's absolutely fine for the first 2 or 3 miles. I'm beginning to think its main/big end bearing noise, although the oil pressure isn't too bad. It just doesn't sound like a worn 1098 I had in a Mini many years ago.
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

By the way, I'm in Southwell, Nottinghamshire. Don't know of any Minor experts round here.
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Hi I am in Kneesall I have two vans but unfortunately am not an expert , just got back from the final whistle ,good pub . I suggest you come along to the local meetings in mansfield ( madmogs) second Tuesday in the month at the rushley Nottingham road
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

Thanks. I may well do that.
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

I think I may have answered my own question. Have just done an oil change and decided to try a straight sae50 oil. Now runs much quieter, although the noise is still there once warmed up, but not so severe. This is making me think it's most likely main/big end bearings, but which? Or is it likely to be all of the above. What I don't understand is why I can rev the whatsits off it while out of gear with no untoward noises.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

try putting some stp in the engine oil may just help you a little and back off the timing a little .
[sig]5641[/sig]
peterscott
Minor Friendly

Post by peterscott »

Thanks. Reluctant to put STP in since the SAE50 is very thick already, and it turns over on the starter noticeably slower already. Will try the timing though. Thanks.