Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dapplepony8
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Checking the Diff oil

Post by Dapplepony8 »

Can anyone please explain how I check and top up the diff oil?
I'm not certain that putting Titch up on 4 stands is wise and recon
You can't do this job at an angle?

Regarding axle stands, am I able to put her up on 4 and if so is it wise?
I tried recently by starting at the rear but when I started to jack
Up the front one of the rear stands started to tip,.....Abort Abort Abort!!!!

James
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Checking the Diff oil

Post by oliver90owner »

Use ramps? Dig a pit? Raise one end on axle stands and lower onto some wide timber supports, then raise the other end? Get someone slimmer than yourself to top off the fluid and replace the plug? Do it on a slope and just raise the rear wheels until the car is level? (Do remember to chock the front wheels properly!) Raise the bodywork and not the wheels? Run one side up on a kerb and level with an axle stand on the other side? Get someone else to do it, such as your local car repair/maintenace garage?

Think a little more laterally and you may get some inspirational ideas of your own.

RAB
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Drive up onto a couple of concrete blocks?

I manage to get under the car by having my wife roll it back over me. I'm not exactly supermodel thin but I can get beneath the petrol tank alright.
Cardiff, UK
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Using four stands is ok if you can use a trolley jack. When you jack for the second pair the jack should roll and avoid tilting the first pair. This requires a reasonably smooth surface so the little jack wheels can turn easily.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

You're possibly overthinking it? I've never bothered about having the car completely level when checking the axle oil - it isn't as critical as the engine oil level is it.
I just raise the rear as much as I need to and top it up if required. I change it every few years. I tend to fill to slightly below the plug so as not to "overfill". This seems to have worked for me for the last 45years or so :wink:
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

James,

If you are anywhere near Oxford - pop in and put it over the pit. Takes a few easy minutes to check the rear axle oil level - PROVIDING:

• Someone has not put a later diff assembly (with no level/filler plug), into an earlier axle casing (with no level/filler plug) - the result is no level/filler plug to use!

• There is a level/filler plug available and that it comes undone reasonably easily!
Last edited by IslipMinor on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Just crawl under with car on reasonably level surface, not much room but better than wasting time jacking and/or blocks. It may not be possible for people who are quite fat, in which case safer to drive all four wheels onto four bricks.

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Jacking isn't essential but you might as well combine oil checking with the rest of a full service and remove the wheels to adjust the brakes and grease handbrake cables and propshaft.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

I always raise mine up onto axle stands on the front chassis rails first, then raise the rear with the trolley jack under the centre of the diff, with another two under the rear axle.
Once all four wheels are off the ground and on the stands you can raise the front or the rear to the height you need.
Remember to place the car in gear and apply the handbrake BEFORE RAISING THE FRONT OF THE CAR FIRST.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Trickydicky has the simple method you don't have to lift it too much. Use an allen key as a dipstick to ascertain the amount of oil. :D
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

But don't drop the Allen key into the casing eh !
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Isn't there an inspection cover under the rear seat squab or am I thinking of the larger Oxford?
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Inspection cover on the Lowlight and the 1952. Might be just the early cars with the Nuffield axle and the 4.5 inch PCD.

Bl00dy handy little hole, though!
Cardiff, UK
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i just use my finger as a dipstick , if the oil is just below the hole its fine .
[sig]5641[/sig]
Dapplepony8
Minor Friendly

Post by Dapplepony8 »

oliver90owner wrote:Use ramps? Dig a pit? Raise one end on axle stands and lower onto some wide timber supports, then raise the other end? Get someone slimmer than yourself to top off the fluid and replace the plug? Do it on a slope and just raise the rear wheels until the car is level? (Do remember to chock the front wheels properly!) Raise the bodywork and not the wheels? Run one side up on a kerb and level with an axle stand on the other side? Get someone else to do it, such as your local car repair/maintenace garage?

Think a little more laterally and you may get some inspirational ideas of your own.

RAB
Diff oil replaced and indeed I wasnt thinking laterally
Dapplepony8
Minor Friendly

Post by Dapplepony8 »

RobThomas wrote:Drive up onto a couple of concrete blocks?

I manage to get under the car by having my wife roll it back over me. I'm not exactly supermodel thin but I can get beneath the petrol tank alright.

All sorted Thankyou
Dapplepony8
Minor Friendly

Post by Dapplepony8 »

ManyMinors wrote:You're possibly overthinking it? I've never bothered about having the car completely level when checking the axle oil - it isn't as critical as the engine oil level is it.
I just raise the rear as much as I need to and top it up if required. I change it every few years. I tend to fill to slightly below the plug so as not to "overfill". This seems to have worked for me for the last 45years or so :wink:

All sorted now Thanks and I now have much better blacks of wood for the axle stands
Dapplepony8
Minor Friendly

Post by Dapplepony8 »

IslipMinor wrote:James,

If you are anywhere near Oxford - pop in and put it over the pit. Takes a few easy minutes to check the rear axle oil level - PROVIDING:

• Someone has not put a later diff assembly (with no level/filler plug), into an earlier axle casing (with no level/filler plug) - the result is no level/filler plug to use!

• There is a level/filler plug available and that it comes undone reasonably easily!
Sorry for the delay but I have now sorted out the diff oil and my jacking technique. It does turn out that I have a rare diff but all seems well
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Interested to know about your "rare diff".