Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chillit71
MMOC Member: No

Pedals!!

Post by Chillit71 »

Hellooo!
Anyone out there able to offer some advice on removing the brake and clutch pedals from my 72 Minor Van?? I've removed the bolt and washer from the pedal pin as per the manual and also disconnected the linkage from the clutch pedal to the clutch itself, so as far as I can see there is nothing to stop the clutch pedal and pin from simply sliding out. Am I missing something?
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: Pedals!!

Post by MarkyB »

It will look more like a crankshaft when you do get it out, don't expect it to slide out smoothly.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

The pedal movement wears down the shaft and forms shoulders which foul the othe parts of the assembly, the spacer in between also rusts in place, you may need mole grips for that, or may end up with a grinder.

andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

The spacer under the master cylinder cover may be stuck to the pedal shaft, just had this on the saloon. We had to cut the shaft/spacer to get the pedal out. Not an easy job, but needed to do, as shaft was worn and needed replacing.

Hope this helps and Good Luck
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

File some flats on it, soak it in penetrating fluid overnight IF no grinder - more purchase for the Mole Grips or open ended spanner - takes ages but always works.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Chillit71

Post by Chillit71 »

Thanks everyone for your replies, really appreciate it :D
Looks like I'll be getting the grinder out then unless I can somehow persuade the shaft to come out quietly!
Cheers,
Charlie.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Chillit71 wrote:Thanks everyone for your replies, really appreciate it :D
Looks like I'll be getting the grinder out then unless I can somehow persuade the shaft to come out quietly!
Cheers,
Charlie.
Be careful where the sparks go, carpet & seats et al!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

When you get it out I went to the effort (possibly excessive!) of making a new shaft which is centre bored then cross drilled so I can grease everything in one go. Just to go completely over the top I fitted and reamed new bushes in the chassis leg and made a brass spacer to replace the original. Should do another 50 years hopefully...[frame]Image[/frame]
Glad to be back!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Alex
Well made and thought out solution to the problem of clutch shaft and brake pedal wear.

I observe that you have left the two flats off the outer end of the shaft and the special washer (with internal flats) that fits over the end of the BMC shaft Pt No: ACA5228 does not seem to be installed.
As ACA5228 was installed to overcome the problem of the turning action of the shaft loosening the castellated nut nut Pt No: AJD8406Z. I am curious to know as to how have you overcome the possibility of the nut becoming loose as the nut featured in your photo appears to be plain with no locking facility.
My own clutch pedal shaft has ACA5228 fitted with the castellated nut replaced with a Nyloc nut.
Phil

alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

Hi Phil,

Mine uses a stainless bolt drilled and tapped for a grease nipple. The shaft has been fitted with a locking helicoil to stop it winding loose. Works a treat so far.

Alex
Glad to be back!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Alex
Many thanks for the reply.
Phil