Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
hdavy
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Driver's door lock

Post by hdavy »

Have a new lock to put in complete with handle but cannot get the old one out. I have removed the three screws which fix it to the door, the jubilee clip which links it to the release bar, and the trim clip on the outside of the door under the handle (which broke). Can slide the lock backwards just about far enough for the catch to clear the door frame but cannot pull it out. Any ideas apart from a big hammer and chisel? Shoul I be trying to push it outwards or pull it inwards. Any ideas gratefully received.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Driver's door lock

Post by simmitc »

You have to remove the window channel and therefore also the window. The procedure is covered in the workshop manual, but basically there are three bolts in the rear of the door and a nut bewlow the quarter light (use a deep socklet or a box spanner). With the frame out of the way, you can get the lock out, but it still needs a fair bit of wiggling.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

The nut below the quarter light is usually pretty rusted , so spray with WD40 at the very least. Ideally Plus gas and leave to soak for a while otherwise you will have an additional problem to resolve.
I agree with simmitc it "still needs a fair bit of wiggling " to extract.
Bob
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by biomed32uk »

It is a pig of a job, one of the very few I have found on the minor that needs the swearbox.

As said the whole window and window channel has to come out. It's much easier with two people to avoid scratching the paint and/or dropping the glass, that's where the wife got involved.

If I remember right there are two nuts below the quarterlight, and really awkward to get at. Seem to remember feeding a long socket extension or two right up through the door.

If you drop anything small down inside the door you are not getting it back either. Stuff a rag or two in the bottom of the door to catch anything.

My passenger lock is stiff, on the list of 'one day' jobs !.
hdavy
Minor Fan

Post by hdavy »

Thanks guys. Think will wait for next sunny day.