Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Front drum size

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I have just measured Olwyn's front drums and I wanted to know that I had measured them correctly. I have measured across the inner face where the shoes make contact and from side to side I get a measurement of 7".
Therefore I assume they are the standard 7" fitment for a car of her age.
If I measure across the front (outer face - which presents when you remove the wheel) I get a measurement from lip to lip of approx 8", however I take it this would be a deception and the true measurement is the first one I took where actual braking contact is made.
Please can the experts on here confirm this.

The reason for my taking this measurement is that the previous Australian owners have fitted telescopic shocks to the front alongside the original dampers (are the roads rougher down under??) and I wondered if they had upgraded the front drums at the same time.
I like the ride the front shocks give, so they will be staying but I would also like to upgrade to 8" at the front.
I have seen these on eBay but am unsure of the way he has measured them.....(link below)............
Therefore your advice will be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Mike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371533227593? ... EBIDX%3AIT
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Re: Front drum size

Post by mike.perry »

If the front drums are 8 inch they will be larger than the rear drums, if they are 7 inch drums they will be the same size as the rears
[sig]3580[/sig]
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks Mike but I was aware that the rear's are 7", what I was really after here was to confirm that I had measured them correctly.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ColinChandler
Minor Fan

Post by ColinChandler »

Hello,
Yes, you've measured correctly. Its the inside diameter where the brake shoes rub that gives the drum size.
Best wishes, Colin.