Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LaughingBoy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Lower trunnion

Post by LaughingBoy »

re: front suspension noise - I think I have finally found the source of the noise and it is the upper link. Surprising as I have newish poly bushes but anyway I need to disassemble and clean up etc. Problem is I cannot get the trunnion off the pin and I read the following in another post:

"As for top trunnion bushes - if the bottom trunnion is unworn then you probably can't get enough movement in the kingpin to release the top trunnion from the pivot.
Two options are:
1) *unbolt damper from bulkhead crossmember so you can move the pin as well
2) ** dissasemble lower suspension arm so you have full movemebt of the kngpin"

I am trying option 2 and have disassembled the lower suspension arm but am concerned that when I release the top trunnion from the kingpin/swivel arm there will be nothing to hold the whole stub axle and swivel pin assembly in place apart from the steering arm and I don't want all that weight just falling! Am I missing something? A jack under the swivel pin would not be stable when I am disengaging the top link ...

Any advice appreciated.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

You should not have to dismantle any part of the lower thick thin suspension arms to remove the top trunnion from the damper pin..
With a jack secured under the thick/thin suspension arms to take the weight off the torsion bar the top trunnion pivot nut can be undone and the large stepped washer removed .
Hook out the outer bush and pressing the trunnion rearwards (not taking the inner bush with it) twist the trunnion and the trunnion should be released from the top pivot pin. A bit fiddly but it can be done.
Secure the swivel/brakes to stop it falling outwards by passing a cord through and behind the bottom bump mounting bracket attaching it to the swivel.

It may be of help to slacken the thick/thin clamping bolts/nuts to give a bit more wiggle room but I repeat there is no need to dismantle or remove any part of the lower suspension.

LaughingBoy
Minor Friendly

Post by LaughingBoy »

Yes I have tried all that and like many other people have found it impossible - there is nowhere near enough play and I am not going to use a crow bar to force it.
EDITED.
Last edited by LaughingBoy on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

My trunnions, swivel threads and front suspension parts are perfect and I can still remove the top trunnion from the top pin without fully dismantling or removing anything using the method I described.

LaughingBoy
Minor Friendly

Post by LaughingBoy »

Well I finally succeeded by removing the front suspension arm, slackening off the rear nut on the lower pin AND putting the steering on full right-hand lock (it's the offside supension I'm working on). The upper trunnion was then just able to swivel off the pin. It is now all cleaned up, greased and back together and now to see if finally the suspension creaking/squeaking noise has gone!
Thanks again for your help.