Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rreems
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Front dampers

Post by rreems »

Hi I've got a couple of questions for my 68 minor
I have a slight leak on one of my front dampers, will this fail the MOT?
If I fitted a modern damper kit does this mean the old dampers are not considered as part of the test? Could I then drain the oil from them if they have no further use?
Thanks
Richard
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Front dampers

Post by philthehill »

The MOT inspector will judge the amount of leakage and comment as necessary.
Even if you have an alternative damper system fitted the original dampers will still have to contain oil to lubricate the internal moving parts that cannot be easily removed.
To remove the damping facility of the original dampers - the damper valves will have to be removed.

rreems
Minor Fan

Post by rreems »

Hi Phil, thanks for the advice, would the valves need to be removed before the unrated ones will work effectively?
Thanks
Richard
rreems
Minor Fan

Post by rreems »

Hi Phil, thanks for the advice, would the valves need to be removed before the unrated ones will work effectively?
Thanks

should read Uprated!
Richard
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

There is little point in retaining the valves in the original dampers if uprated tele dampers are fitted.
With the valves removed the original dampers resort to just becoming the top suspension link with no damping facility.
I would suggest that if the original dampers fail the MOT and the dampers have to be replaced a straight 30 grade oil is used in those new dampers instead of the damper oil grade as specified in the wksp manual.. New dampers and 30 grade oil will save you the cost and the need to fit tele dampers/upgraded dampers.

rreems
Minor Fan

Post by rreems »

Hi Phil

Thanks again

Richard
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

if the damper is still ,"damping" it will probably get an advisory,and if so,just drain and fill with 30 oil (Both sides),its possible the thicker oil will not leak.