Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Sheared shackle plates beware!!

Post by philthehill »

Rob
The rear spring shackle pins and the eye bolt pins are the one and the same thing - BMC Pt No: AA1407.
The new pins that I have and which have UNF threads are much better finished at the angle between the threaded part of the pin and the
shoulder.
I suspect that they were made on a CNC lathe. The shoulders fit nicely and squarely against the shackle plate.
The original BMC shackle pins that I have are not well finished at the shoulder. I suspect that they were made on a capstan lathe so limits may not be a good as they should be. There is variance at the shoulder and not all are a good fit against the shackle plate - the BSF thread does not reach up to the shoulder; and on some and there is a slight plain taper for the last few mm which impedes the fit into the shackle plate.
Phil

kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

just to digress, you say the rear spring was rubbing on the wheel arch,don't understand ,how can it,its directly below the chassis leg. or have I misread the post,if you mean it was rubbing on the rear of the chassis,then the reason the longer shackles were fitted was to extend the length of the spring to avoid that contact ,its a known trick when the springs have sagged .
LouiseM
MMOC Member: No

Post by LouiseM »

philthehill wrote:I just cannot believe the above comments in that the inference is that the parts are faulty and members should be made aware of the manufactures name - all without being aware of the full facts. The parts in question may not be of faulty manufacture.Even companies are innocent until proven guilty. Questions need to be asked and answered before jumping to conclusions
Thanks for adding some common sense comments Phil. That's the problem with the internet - lots of people out there who don't worry about 'facts', jump to conclusions and make assumptions without knowing the full details.
firedrake1942 wrote: libel laws allow a 'Fair Comment' defence and provided that is adhered to, that there is factual comment and no malicious intent to damage either a company or personal reputation, there is no need to be quite so erinaceous
I'm aware of libel laws Firedrake but there is no way of knowing whether something posted here is 'fair comment' or not unless you are in possession of all of the facts (and as an ex - Policeman I'm sure you appreciate how important it is to establish the facts first rather than make assumptions). Naming the supplier immediately, as you suggested, may well result in lost business for a company when there is no evidence to show that the parts are faulty - impossible to tell just by looking at a photo. That's why the rules are as they are here with regards to 'naming & shaming'. I have already recently provided you with a lengthy response as to why the rules are as they are: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66728 You may not personally agree with these reasons but please refrain from making personal comments about moderators just because they are adhering to these rules.

The OP has posted the same message elsewhere and the supplier in question has posted responses on an open forum: https://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk//vi ... 32&t=12053

I'm sure the OP posted with good intentions but this thread is now being locked to prevent further 'assumptions' being posted by those not in possession of all of the facts. If you have any complaints about this action please contact me via pm and I will be happy to discuss. Thank you.

Eric - 1971 Traveller