Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chazbee
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

EYEBOLT FULCRUM PIN

Post by Chazbee »

I'm about to renew the eyebolt bushes and after studying the diagrams and reading various posts I can't see what stops the eyebolt fulcrum pin turning when I try to undo the front nut to remove the front half of the bottom suspension arm.Will it hold tight by friction in the bush or rust on the cup at the other end? Also when I'm reassembling how do I stop the pin turning as I tighten the cup end - presumably the cup end has to be tightened before refitting rear portion of the suspension arm i.e..without any load on the suspension.
Fingolfin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: EYEBOLT FULCRUM PIN

Post by Fingolfin »

Basically friction, as far as I can tell. This is my least favorite part of the Minor's otherwise rather innovative front suspension. Well, I guess I'm not big on the lever-arm dampers, but beggars can't be choosers.

beware crossthreading that nut! You have to disassemble the whole thing again to remove it...trust me, I know. :roll:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: EYEBOLT FULCRUM PIN

Post by philthehill »

Before doing anything with the lower suspension arms make sure that the load is taken off the torsion bar and the car is well supported and the rear wheels chocked.
The rear end of the eyebolt pin is held by a nut/spring washer inside the cup which is held in and by the recess in the front of the rear (thick) arm.
If the eye bolt pin turns in the eye/thick arm - just remove the rest of the bolts/nuts holding the thick and thin arms together - knock the thick arm rearwards and provided the thick arm moves rearwards the cup should disengage from the thick arm and you can hold the cup/nut and undo the front nut.
Once you have removed the front (thin) arm knock the thick arm rearwards to disengage the pin and cup from the thick arm.
Mark the arm and the torsion bar before disassembly to ensure they go back in the same place.
The pin/cup can then be removed and the bushes/pin renewed.
The cup nut can be tightened to the pin by fitting two nuts to the the other end of the pin & tightened against each other - then using them so as to hold the pin whilst tightening the cup nut. Once the cup nut is tight undo the two nuts the other end of the pin.
Then fit the new bushes (poly is best) and insert the pin/cup into them, knock the thick arm forward with the recess in the thick arm engaging the cup. The cup is a reasonably tight fit in the recess of the thick arm and friction should hold it whilst the front pin nut is tightened.
Rebuild the suspension in reverse of disassembly.
Note:
The eye bolt pin can be supplied with either BSF or UNF threads - in my experience pins supplied with UNF threads are better made and have better formed shoulders at each end of the pin.