Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
toulky
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Clutch Pedal

Post by toulky »

Have noticed that the clutch pedal on our 1965 minor does not fully return to the released position ie level with the brake pedal. If I reach down and give it a pull it does come up by about 1.5ins and level with the brake. Crawled underneath (took 15 mins to crawl out again ) :wink: and checked the pedal return spring which looked in good order so cannot figure out why we have this free play movement.
Not having any issues with operation of clutch just like to solve problem?
All suggestions gratefully received.
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Clutch Pedal

Post by BLOWNMM »

Whatever the problem, it is likely that the pedal not returning properly will probably result in the carbon thrust release bearing being in constant contact with it's mating surface. This is sure to cause premature wear of the carbon thrust bearing.
Bob
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I would say the common shaft that the brake and clutch pedal use, is worn. If you decide to replace it, check the bush in each pedal as well.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Give the two clutch pedal shaft bushes in the chassis leg and the brake pedal bush a good dose of light oil.
Unless a point is made of lubricating the bushes they usually end up dry and the result is a stiff and non returning clutch pedal.
In the extreme the clutch pedal shaft will seize and the brake pedal will not move on the shaft.
All moving parts should be lubricated on a regular basis.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'll correct my post, to say the clutch pedal has no bush, it is of course attached to the shaft! :oops: