Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chazbee
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Steering wheel

Post by Chazbee »

I am thinking about swapping the steering wheel on my 1968 Tourer for an earlier wire spoked model. I am looking on eBay etc. but am unsure as to which will fit! They are variously described as banjo fitting, 48 splines,etc.etc.
Can someone unravel the mystery for me please.
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Re: Steering wheel

Post by Boomlander »

The earlier splined banjo type has three sets of evenly spaced spokes - four spokes to each set - and should fit your car with no problem.
The very early wheel has a tapered socket with a locking woodruff key and the four spoke sets have a gap between spokes 2 & 3 as shown in the photo.
Attachments
DSCI0011.JPG
DSCI0011.JPG (331.66 KiB) Viewed 2644 times

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

As boomlander says, there is some degree if interchangeability. The type in his picture won't fit. Some of the type that will fit (those from cars built 1956 to 1959) didn't have a horn push, just a fixed Morris badge, because the horn push was incorporated in the trafficator stalk switch. For simplicity, you'd maybe want to consider a wheel from the 1959-1963 period, which has a black rim, a horn push and chrome spokes (get one complete with its correct horn push if possible).

Another point is the steering column shroud on your car. It was not fitted to cars with earlier type steering wheels. The early wheel won't align with the shroud and may leave you with a section of 'bare' steering column visible between wheel and shroud.

A word of warning however. The two-spoke wheel you currently have was specified from 1964 onwards [quote] 'as a concession to safety requirements'. Probably doesn't make a lot of difference though!
1956 4-door called Max
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Declan_Burns »

I have the later black spoked steering wheel on mine for years and I think it looks much better. It fits no problem.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
Steering_wheel_1.jpg
Steering_wheel_1.jpg (411.01 KiB) Viewed 2621 times

Regards
Declan
Steve_S
Minor Friendly

Post by Steve_S »

If you have not already got the large type centre boss and horn push that go with the metal spoked wheel be prepared to pay quite a bit for one as decent units are quite rare.
Chazbee
Minor Friendly

Post by Chazbee »

Is the horn operation on the metal spoked wheel identical to the later two spoked type or is some rewiring needed?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

See my earlier comnents. Some metal spoked wheels didn't have a horn push, as it was on the indicator switch instead
1956 4-door called Max
Chazbee
Minor Friendly

Post by Chazbee »

Would the ones with a bull motif wheelcentre be the one I don't want? ie. I need the one with a large M.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Looks to me as though you're correct. The one with the 'Bull' motif is purely decorative as far as I can tell. The one with a gold 'M' on a red background will make a noise when pressed! :)
1956 4-door called Max
Chazbee
Minor Friendly

Post by Chazbee »

Thanks for all replies.